BMW F650 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Confused of Cranleigh
12 Posts
Hi Ian,
Which forum will be best for owners, like me, of the older single cylinder G650's?
Regards Ken

·
Registered
611 Posts
as we now have a few members with the G650GS we thought it was time you had your own forum.

please post any G650GS related threads in this forum and if you spot anything you want moving here please let us know and we'll get it done.
Good man. It was all becoming a bit confusing for people.

How do we ask to have a post moved. Can we use the report post button?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am new to this site but old to motorcycles. I am so old that nobody wants me to leave the house which sucks!. So far I have checked and adjusted the valve clearance, changed the oil, spark plugs and air filter on my G650GS and am looking to see what other mischief I can get into while being in confinement. I did sneak out for a test ride just to make sure that nothing falls off!:-D

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Hi, absolutely frustrating in these turbulent times, satay safe , least you should be ready to go when you can

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh yeah, it is frustrating! But the up side is that I have really learned a lot about this motorcycle. It really is not that complicated, but it is just a pain do do ANYTHING on compared to my Triumph Bonneville. One thing for sure. When you do one thing on this BMW that requires removing all of the crap that is required, it is better to plan to do everything you can while you have the thing torn apart!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh yeah, sometimes I think the motorcycle engineer who designs some of this stuff must have caught a motorcycle mechanic with his wife!!! :roll:

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Try a 1979 suzuki 2 stroke, had to remove the silencer , gear lever and chain to set the oil pump:)
That's easy , to,get to oil,pump on BSA A series you have to remove engine timing side cover after exhaust pipe (depending on model) to get to oil pump, on B&C series you could drop oil pump cover/mini sump cover to get to,oil drain ball valve, part crankcase after that to remove oil pump .

Reactions: Mlaite

·
Registered
481 Posts
The best bike in my collection designed specifically to make servicing as difficult and expensive as possible is my 1961 BSA Dandy 2-stroke scooterette. In order to adjust the contact breaker point gap you not only have to remove the engine from the frame but you then have to split it apart down the middle. Rather than positioning the generator and clutch on either side of the engine, BSA positioned them facing each other in the middle of the engine - the contact breaker points were under the generator flywheel which therefore had to be exposed before the points could be adjusted. A truly brilliant design!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, amazing! I think we have a winner for the feat of the most complicated design. And on a scooter no less!:-D

·
Registered
28 Posts
So, as I mentioned I am new here to this site and not very computer savy..... BUT ya gotta cut me some slack. I am not saying how old I am but my first bike was a 1965 Honda Sport 50!! LOL So having said that, is this the place to be for the G650S owners forum or is there something else I need to do??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good morning all. I finally got out for a long ride on my G650GS just to see what is going on here in the Yucatan. It is mandatory to wear a mask and distancing is enforced by marks on the floor in all stores and the restaurants are allowed to operate with 25% capacity. I got out of the populated areas and there is no issues with distancing way out in the back roads. The bike ran just fine and with the new plugs it fires right up every time. I still think that 20k km. is a bit long to run the plugs but hey, they made it to 18,500 kms with no real issues except for the occasional false start. Safe travels everyone!:wave:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, the mystery is solved happily! While I did check the battery connections for tightness, I did not actually remove the cables from the battery and properly inspect the battery terminals. My bad! There was indeed corrosion between the cable terminals and battery posts! I cleaned both the positive and negative terminals with a wire brush and then reattached them. I then coated the terminals with grease as per advice from a friend of mine. Hopefully that will solve the corrosion issue . :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts