BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
tim hunt
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! I have just replaced my battery with a new one from BMW on a 06 GS . on switching on ignition , the brake light / indicator / panel light fuse blew . I replaced it with a spare and that blew too :mad: .
What have I done wrong ?? :oops: The bike started ok , and headlight dipped and main is fine . Tim

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Hi
Could it be that a wire on the positive side is touching earth somewhere? You can't have connected the wires the wrong way round so that should be okay.r have you trapped a wire near the battery?

Ton

·
tim hunt
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ton , thanks for that suggestion .I will check carefully tomorrow .It will mean removing the panels again , just after refitting them ugh ! :wall:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Firstly check the fuse connections are clean and free from corosion or dirt. Ideally, spray the fuse and sockets with Switch Cleaner (from Maplins).

Is this Fuse No 6?
Having removed the front indicator mountings from the bike to get access to the battery, the problem is possibly there. Check the wiring is not shorting somewhere like within the indicator pods where wires can easily get pulled off the bulb connection tabs and then touch each other.

Failing that, get a supply of fuses, put one in and try each function (indicator [L & R], brake light [F & R]) in turn to see which circuit is shorting/blowing the fuse. Once ascertained, inspect the wiring to that item and its switch.

·
tim hunt
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your support . The offending wire was within the right indicator pod ,which disconnected itself when it was hanging during removal of the panels .All is ok now. You live and learn . Tim :bowdown::thumb:

·
Registered
204 Posts
The offending wire was within the right indicator pod ,which disconnected itself when it was hanging during removal of the panels .
Don't think of me as a genius. I did the same thing a week ago :wall:
thats why I suggested it!

BMW could have made the wires of differing length to avoid this (or put on a decent length of insulation) but that costs them more!

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi I read your posts about this problem and I think that I have the same

I bought my BMW F650 GS Dakar a week ago. I read the book and there they said how to check the battery if ther is a need to add more water.... I removed the batter exaclty as they said in the book. When I put the battery back I heard some strange noise like tik tik.... after that I start the engine and all worked ok. But after I rode the bike for 200 miles while I was riding it the main panel just stop working. and not only that the lelft and right indicators also.... do you have an idea what can be the problem? Do you think that I broke my main panel...? 10x for the help!

·
Registered
204 Posts
The tik-tik-tik is normal (on my bike) first time after reconnecting the battery.

As indicators are not working it suggests fuses have blown. If this is it and replacement fuses also blow you need to find the fault.
As before, I suggest the wires to the front indicators may not have been reconnected properly and are in contact with each other. You would have removed these when removing panels to get to the battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I suggest the wires to the front indicators may not have been reconnected properly

I suggest the wires to the front indicators may not have been reconnected properly....

I didn't disconnect anything before removing of the battery. Why I have to remove the connections to the front indicators if I want only to remove the battery .... they are not connected in the place where the batter is.. ?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Why I have to remove the connections to the front indicators if I want only to remove the battery .... they are not connected in the place where the batter is.. ?
On my bike, to get to the battery you first have to remove the indicator lights and panels, then the side panels. Did you?

But first check the fuses. If any are blown (broken) replace it and try each circuit (left indicator, right indicator, horn, brake lights, etc) in turn to see if it blows again. If it does blow you know which circuit is causing this and can examine the unit and wiring.

If fuses are OK I cannot help - I don't know enough about electrics. Others do......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts