BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, This is my first post so hopefully someone can help:thanks2:
Stopped yesterday and my 20amp fuse blew (no ignition lights, bike would'nt start). Replaced fuse and it blew as i put it in, keys weren't in ignition.
After a bit of trial and error found that if i disconnected the VR all was well and bike started ok. Checked the battery @ 12.5v cheched + and - wires going into VR and they were the same. Weird thing i discovered by accident, if i touched the two wires going into VR (red & white and green) then the ignition light came on and i could hotwire the thing!! (is this right or is it a sign of a short?)
I think there is either a short somewhere (ignition?) or the VR is fried, having just replaced the VR with this one (first on page) a few weeks ago, and was outputting @13.5 when running. Not reallty wanting to have to buy another. And hoping its not something more serious:puzzled:
Any ideas apprieciated?

http://www.motorworks.co.uk/bmw/products/product.php?f=i&code=BA_15_60_IA_05&shnew=New&model=F650+Funduro%2FST+%28carb+models%29&shnewcode=15&part=Electrics&sub_part=Charging&modelcode=60&partcode=IA&source_code=BA_15_60_IA_05&header_text=&header_text_image=0

Ps...valve clearences are a bit on the high side 0.15 > 0.17 should i get this sorted sharpish?

·
Registered
407 Posts
20 Amp fuse

Having just had a quick look at the wiring diagram my first guess would be that your VR has developed a short to earth, this could be one of the diodes (which should block current flow to earth) has gone short circuit thus allowing fault current to flow. I think you need to compare your VR with a known good one.

Try the supplier of the recently fitted VR, see if they will accept a waranty claim

ZD

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
20amp fuse blowing

Cheers mate, my plan was to put the old one back in as i know it wasn't shorting and see what happens. Then i supppose i just have to ttry and trace the problem back. I was just looking for some feedback to see if i was going in the right direction. If it turns out to be the VR then i'll be contacting motorworks......£74 , not cheap for dodgy parts.....:thanks2:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
VR was fried, put in the old one and fuse didn't blow.......will be gettingonto motorworks tomorrow!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts