BMW F650 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just picked up a 2002 f650gs dakar, and I am looking for some guidance.
I will be using the bike as a commuter and doing some light lanning on it.
What are the best mods to do with these machines?
How are these bikes with waterproofing against electrics, I noticed the housing behind the clocks is no longer sealed.
Any known issues to keep a eye out for?
What sort of milage do you expect from these engines if well maintained?
Is there a option to raise the height apart from getting more foam added in the seat, handle bar risers?
Thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hello, there are loads of mods that can be done to these bikes and quite a few places to buy parts, the sky and the depth of your pockets being the limit.

As for things to watch out for will be similar to other 18 year old bikes. Just ride it and keep it in good fettle and you won't go far wrong.

As for the height, you can get longer dog bones to raise the rear a bit but to get it a lot taller you will need to change the forks and rear shock.

You could if you really wish change quite a few bits and make yourself a Paris Dakar racer.

https://youtu.be/HEX2kLVM4AI

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think the main issues are probably:

- water pump seals can fail quite early - look for fluid at the weep hole
- steering head bearings can fail quite early - probably worth a bit extra grease maintenance than you would do normally

I use mine for commuting all winter in very wet and cold conditions and have never had an electrical problem because of it.
I did have the side stand switch fail but that was due to wear not wet weather.

Also be aware that it's a dry sump engine so you need to check the oil as per the manual to avoid over-filling it.
i.e. get the bike up to temperature then turn off and wait 1 minute before checking and adjusting the level.

Buzz.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The online educational model allows a person to complete any educational degree according to his own pace. I would like to hire uk essay writing service for help in research paper. Most of the colleges and universities are offering several online courses that’s why one may enroll in any of his desired choices.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Everything Buzz Said
I have a 2001 with 85000km. Motor is still strong. My bike is used mainly for long off road trips so hard life all round. Issues so fare are water pump seals, oil pressure sender and instrument cluster failed all after 80000km and all easy repaired by me. Not bad really! Must do mods for off road were crash bars and bark busters as the bm one are useless. Rear shock is toast but I have serviced it a couple of times to increase it longevity. I put a Wiseco fuel module on recently and it woke the engine up like it had a bomb up its bum. Best bang for buck mod so fare. Listen to Buzz re the oil it’s important. Have fun it’s a cracka bike, big heavy old and heaps of fun. I bit like me!

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can raise the height of seats by adding more foam to it. I did that with my previous model and it helped UK essay writing service to share the information as well on the latest insights of 2002 f650gs Dakar. The only concern should be the up-keeping of your bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there! My congratulation on buying this bike. I have the same one. Do not forget to check its condition. I recommend you to follow this website, they compare the best BMW scan tool. You can either read about it if you still do not have a scan tool or there is a lot of information about how to use it. So, read it to understand the importance of the scanning process.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi there! My congratulation on buying this bike. I have the same one. Do not forget to check its condition. I recommend you to follow this website, they compare the best BMW scan tool. You can either read about it if you still do not have a scan tool or there is a lot of information about how to use it. So, read it to understand the importance of the scanning process.
Disgusting SPAM promoting useless devices

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree with the general comments but from my experience I would add the following:

- Check fuel consumption and if it's on heavy side (sooty exhaust) then changing the O2 sensor will restore frugality (happened to my 2002 Single Spark). I got a replacement on Ebay for less than £20 and my consumption went from mid 40s to high 50s.

- Ensure the ECU connector is greased (silicone grease or vaseline) to ensure it keeps water out (happened to my mate's 2004 Twin Spark).

- Keep an eye on the swinging arm and suspension linkage bearings because they can corrode quickly due to water ingress (hasn't happened to either of us but it's a known problem).

- Both front and rear master cylinders have given us problems. Mine was the small spring behind the protective rubber boot on the front which rusted through and broke, solved with a refurb kit. My mate has just had his rear master cylinder fail due to crap getting past the seal and seizing the piston closed, also being solved with a refurb kit.

- Be careful with the brake reluctors. They are easily damaged and if they are you will get weird ABS problems.

A mod I'm considering is fitting a pair of LED spots to the front because the headlight is little better than a glow worm!

It might be an idea to check whether you have a low seat or not. Mine came with both high and low seats but I gave the low seat to my mate because he has hip trouble and was having trouble swinging his leg over. If you find yours is a low seat then I have a high one in good nick.

Congratulations on joining us, these bikes are a delight to ride and for your intended use I don't think you'll regret your choice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts