BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I had a breakdown today after a 15 mile ride.
When I returned to bike it cranked but wouldn’t fire, no priming sound, and no temperature light lite on dash.
AA man discovered poor terminal on top of pump which we fixed. He jumped a lead from battery to positive terminal on pump and it immediately fired up and got me home.
I’ve replaced the two micro relays with new, and the grey 4pin square relay with 2nd hand replacement.
Could it be a case of when hot the relay doesn’t provide 12v to pump to allow priming.
I’m home and now cold the temp light is lite , pump primes and bike starts.

I can’t find a new grey 4 pin or Green 7pin tyco relay anywhere. Is there a non OE alternative so I can definitely rule out intermittent relay problems

thanks

Kevin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kevin, first thing to check on these bikes is the Battery. Charge the battery and then check the voltage when you are cranking the engine.
Have a look at this link it may help.
Pete
https://www.crossroadz.com.au/F650GS/FuelSysRepair.html
Thanks I’ve been looking through that site since I bought the bike and it’s solved many of the bikes niggly electrical problems.

the battery is good but one of the terminals inside the pump black connector was slightly burnt so he removed the plug and temporarily fitted a new connector.
I’m after a replacement plug which I see is the same on E36 cars but I can’t find the female terminals that fit onto the pump posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
I see your problem. They would have to use odd plugs and sockets wouldn't they.
Have you tried an Auto Electrician? maybe they have plugs and sockets that are the same style.
Other than that I would be tempted to do away with the plug altogether and bring wires directly out of the fuel tank and fit another type of plug to the harness.
Just normal spade connectors would do fine. Only a matter of pulling the pins out of that plug, soldering new wires in, using the holes where the pins are now and bring the wires out there. Then use a bit of epoxy to fill the plug to seal the new wires.
I know some folk are stuck on OEM stuff but if it works and is easy to fix well I don't care myself
Pete

·
Registered
171 Posts
Some models of the GS are also known to have short wires in the tank sender unit and pump. It would be worth making sure that when you extend the wires you leave plenty of slack.
If you are joining the wires in the tank, I suggest getting some glue lined heatshrink. Once it shrinks down it seals and stays in place well.
Good luck
Pete

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only other thing is I can’t source a new 4 pin relay. Either the OE gray one or the later Green 7 pin one any where.
Just so I know all the relays are now new.
Black Font Material property Technology Rectangle

Finger Circuit component Gadget Electronic engineering Gas

Finger Gesture Gadget Communication Device Wrist

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would try Motorworks, see if they have them.
Other than that an autoelectrician may be able to supply them or a Bosch replacement.
Last resort carefully pry the cover off. They usually come off without too much trouble.
Check the contacts on the relay and see if they look burnt. If they are dirty clean them with either a Points file or some wet and dry emery paper.
Don't bend them when you do the cleaning.
Pete

1 - 13 of 13 Posts