BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I've just got a new job that is going to involve a 120 miles a day commute from manchester to york and back, I was planning on getting an ex police pan european for the job, but funds are tight and so am now thinking it will be do able on an F650... hand guards, bigger screen and heated grips i'm guessing are a must, what else should I consider?

Cheers

Mikey

·
Registered
29 Posts
120 miles a day on f650

Thats what I used to do with my older f650 54 reg Aberdeen and back on summer days mainly dual carriageway. Handled it no probs. Was enjoyable with taller screen heated grips hand guards scottoiler and top box leaving my back free from any load. Bike seem to enjoy it to but watch for sh1t on the roads.
Up here its the bloody stupid juvenile deer thats the problem just now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was thinking of a long trip as well...I want to buy an F650GS,2007, from a guy near Manchester and ride it home 185 miles in one day to Wiltshire.

Will it do it or more to the point will my bum,ears,back,arms do it :puzzled:

G

·
:-D Hi about your question re distance. Last year we done France/spain, 300 -400 miles a day . all I did was fit a taller screen. Go for it. cheers :-D

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I have done between 900 and 1200 km in one day on the motorbike but I wouldn't be able to do that everyday.
But I didn't like the 800 km at -2 C from where I live to Preston UK. But that wasn't on my BMW F650 but with my CBX550 years ago.
I have spend 20 hours on my CB400 N once but I won't do that again.
It is just a matter of geting used to it.
I wouldn't do a 120mph a day on my F650 I think. I'd probably buy myself a twin.

Ton

·
Registered
543 Posts
Doing a long distance trip is one thing...doing it every day is another.

I currently live in Stockwell. I've got two job interviews coming up - one in Abingdon and one in Alton. I want to continue living in London, and preferably in the Clapham area. This means a round trip of around 140 miles each day for either job.

I'd like to keep the GS. It's comfy and fun, and I've spent a bit of cash getting it to my spec. However, it's a bit vibey on the motorway, that prolonged use might well result in nerve damage! A way of reducing the vibes would be most welcome: is that what the 17T front sprocket would do? I also need a taller screen I suspect!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'd like to be able to cruise at 70-80 mph on the motorway Ton.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm toying with the idea of getting a CS for the job as then there would be no chain to mess with and I might be wrong, but think the tyre choices would be better..??

I'm planning on doing half the journey over to Barnsley on the A628 and then picking up the M1 / A1 for the rest of the journey, so the journey will be split pretty much 50 50 good roads and motorway....

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Hi Stuart
How is the GS compared with the F650St when it comes down to the revs? Are they doing the same revs at the same speed. I know that mine feels best if I do about around 70 to 75 mph. If I go any faster you feel more vibration. The bigger sprocket will move that speed up quite a bit I would think without getting the vibration.
But I never liked cruising at 80mph with mine as I feel these singles aren't really designed to do that.
I am not saying that they won't cope but other bikes are a lot more suitable for doing that sort of cruising speed. How is a GS when it is windy as my bike gets blown of the motorway even more when I put the side cases on. For going faster I feel it is the wrong riding position.
But I do compare with the bikes I had before this one.

Ton

·
Registered
56 Posts
My commute is only 84 miles and my Dakar will do it with no real problem but I only use it if I'm not in a hurry and I'll be doing some byways on the way. If I know I'll be going by road all the way and especially in winter too then it's the 1100GS every time because it's more comfortable and feels quite snug even on a grotty day. Whatever you choose I recommend getting some muffs if you'll be using it in winter.

Chris

·
Registered
543 Posts
Ton,

It pulls around 5,000 rpm at those sorts of speeds - I'll check next time I'm on a proper run. It's not geared down (I think), as I've had an indicated 100 mph out of it (on a disused airfield). I wouldn't want to cruise faster than 80mph as you're starting to use the larger part of the performance, and probably jeopardising your licence. If I did (and sometimes I do), I'd get an Aprilia Falco or Yamaha TDM 900.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Hi Stuart
I will check what sort of revs I do next time and 70mph and at 80mph. Biker Bob changed the gearing on his bike and he mentioned that it was a lot better at those speeds.
I believe that it will work at those speeds to loose some vibration by changing the sprocket but I like the gearing as it is as I can cruise at 70mph which will do for me. I prefer to spend less time on the motorway anyway these days. Must be my over fifty problem catching up.

Ton

·
Registered
543 Posts
Ton, just re-read your post and realised that I didn't answer some of your other points.

I don't mind the riding position at 70-80: I have the standard small GS screen and you can still sit in what I find a comfortable position. Above that you need to adopt a more crouched posture, and if I have to adopt that position regularly I might as well get a faster bike.

In the wind, well I have a big topbox on the back, usually loaded, so it tends to feel the winds. As most of my riding is in Central London at the minute it's not so much of a problem. If I start doing big distances then it might, but then inherent light weight and bluff side profile of most motorcycles may mean that it's not much better on other machines.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Hi Stuart
I have a smaller topbox but even with that and the sidecases this bike is one you don't want to be on the motorway with when it is very windy. With my GS550 I had a cruising speed on the German motorways of 150km approx 90mph without a fairing on and no problem but it was heavier and not anything like the BMW.
The BMW has other advantages though which I value more for myself these days. Speed is not important anymore when we normally travel with the travelsleeper and the car on holiday we have to do 55mph so 70 to max 75 mph feels okay for me on this motorbike. If I still had my old GS850 it would be quite a bit faster I think.

Ton

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi Mikey,

Another thing to consider is your seat! I have a single spark GS from 2003, and got the higher seat at the time. It is also known as the Dakar seat. I have ABS, heated grips, BMW panniers and top box, plus the dark Dakar screen. I commuted from Chesterfield to Birmingham every day for 6 months (140 miles), from July to December, and then managed to start working from home, so reduced the number of trips considerably. I did ride through the last few winters come rain, snow or shine, but not as often. Such a long commute - even down motorways is very wearing. The F650 will do it -but in hind sight, the F650 is a dual sport so there are better bikes for such journey's in my mind. However, come winter, icy roads etc, I'm sure you'd rather have the F650 than a Pan - I know I would.

You will need really good wet weather gear - because there isn't really any protection on the F650. - So think about that too.

I totally agree about a scot oiler - and keep an eye on it and your chain will last and last.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Here's my 2p worth.

I have done a 90+ commute every day, all year, on both CS and GS, and IMHO they are just fine for the job. If you want to do motorways at more than the limit, then probably something a bit bigger and faired would be better. It depends on the route. Mine was single carriage way 'A' roads with a short burst of dual carriageway.

As for screens. On the CS I had a parabellum 24", which was awesome. Better than my R1150RT which I had for a while. Incidentally I used the RT for this job but went back to a CS again after a year.

If you are worried about the longevity, take a look at dailyrider's contribution to the Black Belt section over on www.f650.com. He did over 100k on a single belt!!

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Mikey, have you actually doe this journey on a :riding: ?

Have some experience of this journey, visit 4/5 Ramsbottom 4/5 times a week , from Wakefield, 3 mins from M1/M62 junct where I live. For those in the know about 17miles from york along the M1/A64, Ramsbottom north manchester off M66. Using my Dakar, standard screen, means wind pressure above 60mph, raised gearing to 17 t sprocket, 5,000 rpm at 80mph from 70mph, less vibes and better fuel consumption. No noticable loss of accleration once moving and have lift front wheel with throttle in 1st, 2nd and third gears :uhoh:
It will hold 90 mph, tiring on rider, but stable and controllable I find. 70 to 80 is pleasnter. M62 from huddersfield to Rochdale is exposd (highest in Uk at 1330 ft above sea level) and windy. A628 to barnsley is slower road, mainly used by lorries in convoys, but fun in the dry.
Others have given you good advice, such as scottoiler (if not CS) , wet weather gear, high screen etc. Breakdown cover is a must in my opinion, just in case . . . . .. . .

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.