BMW F650 1994 ticking sound

Thread: BMW F650 1994 ticking sound

Bike
    F650 1994
    Post Thanks / Like

Default BMW F650 1994 ticking sound

Hello! I have a problem with my BMW F650. After a oil change (changed it to 10W40 and after a while back to 20W50, thinking maybe its a oil related problem ) and a little riding a weird ticking sound appeared to motor. At first it sounded like valve problem, but after valves where checkd and adjusted properly the sound didnt change.Several forums mention that this ticking sound may be created by cam chain tensioner, but mine is in one piece and seems to work properly. Also cam chain guides seems to be in good condition. So remains the question what is creating this weird sound? Is it worn cam chain or maybe wors and a connecting rod problem ?

A little video whit this ticking sound

Many thanks advance for your replays!

Bike
    BMW F650 Funduro 2000
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Margus

Had a look and listen to your video, difficult to say what the noise is, what mileage has the bike done?, if its high mileage could be wear on the camshafts/valve train, mayby a small blockage in one of the oilways, especially if high mileage and the oil and filter has not been changed at the recommended intervals, Even though the cam chain tensioner looks ok and is in one piece, that doesnt follow that it isnt worn of course, may be worth replacing it to rule that out?

Good luck, hope you get more replies, let us know how you get on
    Bikes....2000 F650 funduro

Have you noticed that any road user riding/driving slower than you is a ''Bloody snail'' anyone going faster is a ''Bloody idiot''?

Bike
    F650 1994
    Post Thanks / Like

Bike has 78000 km mileage. The history of bike is unknown because i bought it this winter and havent got to ride it very much. How can i check for blockage in oilways ? The oilpressure switch is also broken and i consider ordering a cam chain tenioner with that order if thers no other ideas for that ticking sound. Weird thing was that bike sounded ok in the winter and the ticking sound come in spring after the oil change.

Thanks for the replay and hope the bike is on the road soon.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F650.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bike
    2004 GS called The Mule
    Post Thanks / Like

Tapping sound always leads me to think "tappets", which is an old fashioned way of saying Valve Clearances.

Winter weather means thicker oil (cold) which deadens the noise. Thinner oil & warmer temperatures means louder engine noises.

I would start with flushing the engine with, guess what, some Engine Flush in the oil, run it stationary until the cooling fan cuts in, drain the oil & replace with the recommended grade & a new Filter.

If the noise persists, but goes away when revs are increased, it suggests the cam-chain tension.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    If you can't be good, be careful, Admin's watching.

Bike
    Funduro 1996
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes does sound tappetty. Even mine doesn't sound that bad; similar mileage.
    Has the cam chain tensioner reached the end of its travel? I had a CB250rs like this. Worn chain, worn guide blade(s). Whole lot really needed replacing, but this would have cost a fortune.
    Your mileage is not that high, unless oil changes have been neglected

Bike
    1999 BMW R1100R
    Post Thanks / Like

I would check the cam chain tensioner and the camchain too. Check if the chain is tight around the sprockets so that you can't lift it up.And valve clearance is easily checked.Also look at the cam lobes andte cam carrier bearing surfaces

Ton
    Wasn't Born To Follow

Bike
    F650GS, 2001, light blue, Normal height
    Post Thanks / Like

My 650 has the same noise, and i think its the valve clearance on one valve, however, i could be incorrect. I run 10w 40 semi sin in my bike, thats what was recommended. It you find your problem, let me know, might be mine as well, i intend to strip top end down in the winter and sort it out.

Post Thanks / Like

I want to buy an F650 Funduro car because it was my childhood dream. If you are selling your car then contact me on bestessays legit legit as I am the Managing Director of the mentioned blog.