BMW F650 Forums banner

Are the exhaust's to hot for throwover panniers ?

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  flyboyprowler 
#1 ·
Hi,

Looking at some Oxford throw over saddle bags or maybe Ortlieb (if I do the dishes and ironing for the next month) for my 2000 650 GS

Will the bags survive a couple of long-ish ride outs without melting on the exhausts or must I get some frame work.

I've only been doing daily trips and the exhausts don't seem to be to hot !

Anyone had any experiance of going frameless ?

#2 ·
I use Oxford 'first time' bags and i havent had any problems with them, even with the raincovers on them.

Sometimes i need to use a bungy to pull them a way from the exhaust slightly but they have never melted.
:)

#3 ·
Hi Bluepaul

A tricky question There will be some that have used them without any mishaps and those who have had a negative experience (me?)

i fitted a pair to the 650GS i had a few years ago for a trip to Ireland,but on arriving at our B&B found the LH pannier smouldering well and all the items (mainly my partners clothes)burning, cue removing panniers in a panic and damping the fire down,i can laugh about it now,but not funny at the time,
Personally i would only use hard panniers after that escapade,but its a case of trial and error when fitting soft luggage,getting them to 'sit' in the right position firstly and then ensuring that they actually stay there without moving (easier said than done?) especially if you have a pillion
Try them by all means,but just be careful?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.