BMW F650 Forums banner

Any other under 30's own F650's?

Tags
f650
13K views 42 replies 27 participants last post by  cc1085 
#1 ·
Hello eveyone, my friend says that I have an old mans bike. Quite frankly I couldn't care less, it's the best bike I've ever ridden/owned and I love it! :)

It got me thinking though, am I the youngest one here at 26?

#4 ·
Apparently the average bmw owner is 34 in the USA acc. to Motorcycle. The average Harley rider is 95,sorry I meant 59.Anyway, attitude not age, is important.I know a husband and wife who have owned and ridden their own bikes for over 60 years.They are both heading for eighty (years) and she currently has a tuned sportster and he has just bought a triumph street triple r.
So hopefully you will be doing the same.Ride what you like, not what other (less cool )people tell you

#5 ·
That's a bit like saying all Harley riders are Hells Angels!

My motorcycling friends are:

86 year old rides a Triumph Cub and Ducatti
31 Triumph Triple
19 Royal Enfield
59 (lady) Goldwing
41 Buell
61 R1
me 63 CS and Pan

I don't think there are 'types' just Motorcyclists.....:thumb:

#6 ·
Sorry guys I wasn't saying it's an old mans bike it was my friend (and to be fair he rides a 125 Hyosung :scratch:) who said it was and I was just curious as to the average age of an F650 owner. I've had 3, the funduro, the CS and now the GS and I think, as Nick does that it's a "do everything bike" and I couldn't be happier :D

#11 ·
I am 21, owned my Funduro for 2 years now. Problems crop up, but i have always sorted them out myself. I almost know every single screw and nut on her.

I was once told it's an old mans bike when i first showed up to work on her. But i stood my ground as she is as you say, a do-everything bike, durable and forgiving. I think there are more young riders than we know!

:sunny:

#17 ·
Bike Type

Hello ,
Now a mature rider i find the Funduro just right for weight to manouvre and park up etc . Its still a tall bike and lets you see the scenery about you , often you meet riders with some fancy new sports bike that have their knees nearly touching their chins and bikes costing £10 - £ 14k . My old fundy worth about £1.2k does the same job and gets me there maybe a wee bit slower . Years ago the large boxer twins were and old mans bike , usually wearing a bellstaff jacket with a reflective harness but the newer smaller bikes attract a different type of rider and age group . Some people will still associate the bmw name with the older famous boxer twins with more mature riders .
johnny R :dance:

#18 ·
Hello ,
Years ago the large boxer twins were and old mans bike , usually wearing a bellstaff jacket with a reflective harness but the newer smaller bikes attract a different type of rider and age group . Some people will still associate the bmw name with the older famous boxer twins with more mature riders .
johnny R :dance:
the word you looking for is "connoisseur"

#19 ·
I don't see why BMWs should be seen as old man TBH. It's about nothing more than image. I love my bike and know that I can ride it every day, unlike someone with a coddled sports bike (Even if there bikes do look some what less muckey than mine).

Oh, and for the record, my CS was my 30th birthday prezzie.

#21 ·
cc1085 wrote:

Surely that should read, if I get to 75 ?? " If you want to make your God laugh tell him your plans"

My God will never laugh unfortunately as I haven't got one.

Positive thinking gets you a long way. For some reason the number 83 keeps coming back to me. And 83 will do me.

Ton

#22 ·
Hello eveyone, my friend says that I have an old mans bike.
Then show him the brainrotting website. It's a real bikers bike.

However I'm 40 years older than you and love mine. Looks like it suits *everybody*.

It certainly suits the current climate with respect to speed checks, there a mass of fun to be had without risking a diet of porridge. And so practical in traffic.

#27 ·
Coming late to this party but I bought my F650GS when I was 23. Sold it when I was 25 as I needed more grunt...

#28 · (Edited)
I'm 27 and ride a Funduro - commute 55 miles a day down the M6, i needed a bike that was cheap to run, reliable, can work on myself, was tall, sit and beg style, didnt need treating with much care (dont have the time to sit and clean all the time), slim enough to squeeze through heavy traffic(mounting pavements sometimes even) with the option to throw on some panniers and a top box to go weekend camping, and trips to europe without the worry that the bike will let me down - I'm that confident with my bike.

The funduro ticks all the boxes - however i do regulary think about upgrading to the 1150 but then i think about the running costs, maintenence, weight, size, and it puts me right off.

Stuck some metzeler tyres on before the winter, and havent missed a day out on her yet - the perfect bike to me. And on the subject of the vibrations - yeah it vibrates but it was never built to cruise at 90+, however it all depends who's riding the bike, the bike is more than capable of holding its own with the bigger bikes on twisties and busy motorways - regulary i can out pace sports tourers, sports bikes, even bigger BMW's due to the funduro being nimble, thin (even with panniers on), and the seating position allows you to read the roads quickly and effectively..
Even if i do get another bike in the future (previosuly owned around 15 of all shapes and sizes) - the funduro is staying with me.

Looking forward to heading to scotland in June - and i'm told its F650 territory around their so cant wait!!

Chris

#31 ·
Hi! I'm 23 years old, and i've got a funduro. Actually this is my first bike ever,and i like it, that's all i can say about it.
I thought people who rides f650 are over 30 usually, but i liked it that way, because i would think they are confident calm people with lot of experience, and if people can see me on the road and they think about me the same way, because i ride an f650, then i'm happy with. Also insurance companys are thinking in the same way i guess and it's good for us.

#32 ·
I thought people who rides f650 are over 30 usually, but i liked it that way, because i would think they are confident calm people with lot of experience
Absolutely.

We never exceed the speed limit. We stop to help old ladies cross the road. We never lane split. We always pay in a car park. We never park illegally. We're all vegan. Obviously teetotal. We are always ready to help our 4 wheeled friends by stopping briskly when they are in a hurry and need to pull out in front of us. We love little furry creatures.

#36 ·
You're far too young to fully appreciate an F650. Put it in a box labelled "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL 2050".

My daughter had a Bandit, it was reliable OK transport but it felt like a pogo stick to me, soft and not really connected to the rider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.