BMW F650 Forums banner

New paint on the Funduro

Tags
funduro paint
6K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  johnny R 
#1 · (Edited)
Just got the bodywork back from the paintshop...makes the entire bike look different :riding:. Just a trial install to stick on decals & and a polish.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice!!!!!!

I like it.... Can I ask.. have you only done the bodywork or have you do a complete rebuild... ???? If so what did you use on the engine to get it looking so good??

Tony.

#7 ·
Painting

Spray Paint... You can.. preparation is the key.. and time... do not rush it....

Prepare the surface well, proper rub down.... then clean it up.... Spray.. from a can is easy.. but take your time... hang it by a strong wire... from a bolt hole... spray at the recommended distance, gentle sweeps past... but more paint than you think you will need... like twice as much or more... the point that drips and bad finishes occur is when you stop to change direction... so the key.... don´t stop,,,,, do a run in one direction.. start spraying into the air... then move past the surface... keep spraying until you are well past the last part of the surface.. then pause.... and return... or.... stop.. and repeat in same direction....

Take time to finish it properly too.... either a laquer or a polish....

Hope it helps...

Tony.

#8 ·
Spray Paint... You can.. preparation is the key.. and time... do not rush it....

Prepare the surface well, proper rub down.... then clean it up.... Spray.. from a can is easy.. but take your time... hang it by a strong wire... from a bolt hole... spray at the recommended distance, gentle sweeps past... but more paint than you think you will need... like twice as much or more... the point that drips and bad finishes occur is when you stop to change direction... so the key.... don´t stop,,,,, do a run in one direction.. start spraying into the air... then move past the surface... keep spraying until you are well past the last part of the surface.. then pause.... and return... or.... stop.. and repeat in same direction....

Take time to finish it properly too.... either a laquer or a polish....

Hope it helps...

Tony.
thanks for the reply..

#9 · (Edited)
Colour Change

Hi Flustrated ,
Unless your bike paintwork is in very poor condition i would think about changing from red gloss to matt black . The bright red paint
suits the bike where matt black although hiding most of paint and body defects will always look like patch up job . I suppose it depends on the condition of your bike and how you intend to use it . It would be the same preparation as Tony R says to paint the bike red or black .
johnny R

#11 ·
Paint colour for 95 funduro

Hi ,
Does anyone know if you can buy any bright red paint to touch up the standard red paint on a 95 Funduro . I enquired at motorworks but they dont do it anymore . Just wondered if the colour is the same as the BMW car range . Any info . would be welcome .
johnny R

#12 ·
Hi ,
Does anyone know if you can buy any bright red paint to touch up the standard red paint on a 95 Funduro . I enquired at motorworks but they dont do it anymore . Just wondered if the colour is the same as the BMW car range . Any info . would be welcome .
johnny R
Under the seat, there should be a label with a Paint code number on it:-

shown here on the cross member next to the tool kit roll. A good automotive paint supplier should be able to match this for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.