BMW F650 Forums banner

Fork gaitors

Tags
fork gaitors
5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Ton 
#1 ·
Looking for some advice on front fork gaitors. I've got a single spark 2001 Dakar-without lower mudguard.
I quite like the traditional style-but have also been recommended he neoprene ones that velcro on.

Has anyone had experience of these type and if good where to buy?

Thanks

Simon

#2 ·
My 99 KTM has rubber concertena type rubber gators and work excellently - you need to be a bit careful as some of this 'traditional' type of gators are a harder plastic and look/feel cheap and tend to split with use.

Velcro types seem to work well however they have problems rubbing the titanuim nitride coating off forks - I guess your upper legs are chrome which would be more resistant to wear I would guess you wouldn't have problems but can't guarantee it - when the neoprene type gaitors came in most enduro bikes had moved onto Titanuim coatings.

I've still got the boots off my 99 KTM which are the original rubber concertina type - give me a ring if you're interested.... 07975504217 after 5pm's

#4 ·
This thread has prompted me to try something I've been pondering for a while...

Touratech do a design which protects the front, but is open at the back, but this suffers from the usual TT disadvantage - price! :whistle: Neoprene gaitors are easily fitted, but should ideally be removed to dry after each wet ride, and because they contact the stantion you want to avoid any grit getting into the fabric.

So, I've come up with a hybrid design: A trapezium-shaped piece of neoprene, 100mm on the base, 60mm at the top, and about 240mm high. I've cable-tied this to the fork below the seal, and right at the top of the stantion, such that it wraps around the front half of the fork, but is open at the back.

Only time will tell if this is effective - I only strapped it on this morning, and I haven't yet ridden the bike - but it should be a bit easier to clean and dry than a standard Neoprene design. :cool:

#6 ·
Just fitted some neoprene type gaitors myself. They are not much wider than the fork leg so cannot think they will cause a engine temperature problem. These were not the velcro type , so I had to drop out the forks to put them in place.....not too hard a job.
The material they are made of is very similar to what they make scuba dry suits out of..... I did a test with a offcut, held it under the tap for several minutes ......no water got through.

will have to post up a picture of the installation shortly.

#10 ·
Simon F Cheers !

e-bay...... just over £11 delivered.

Current item number is 260379378519

What I should have done was cut both ends to length,....... so as to get the logo in the middle of the travel.....but doesn't really matter. Ty-wrap fixing might not be the neatest, but it is easily removeable and quick. So far ,so good after a hundred miles :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.