BMW F650 Forums banner

F650 GS '00 Front Sprocket Nut

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  derildo 
#1 ·
Hi all
1st question on this form. I have recently bought my F650 GS and am attempting to change the front sprocket from a 16 to a 15 tooth.

Silly question: Is the nut a righthand thread so will undo anti clockwise?

I have flattened the lock washer and tried to undo the nut with a metre long breaker bar which bends with the effort! Both brakes on and in 1st gear.
I have ordered a gas torch attachment so as to put a bit of heat on the thread as there may be a bucket of threadlock in there.

Any advice welcome

Cheers Derek

#2 ·
Just done it on my 2002 GS.
Front sprocket is right hand and is torqued to 140Nm. Mine needed a fair amount of heat from my heat gun but did shift eventually.
It should have been put on with blue locktite but if previous owner used red then its going to take heat before it will shift.
Good luck

#7 ·
Hi All,
Got it undone on Saturday, 2 man job, I held the brakes and my mate Bertye attacked the nut with a 30mm socket, 3/4" extension and tommy bar pivoting on some blocks of wood.
Could not see any loctite residue. Fitted the 15 tooth sprocket after cleaning splines and threads on shaft and nut. Bit of grease on splines, loctite 243 on thread.
Thanks for all the advise. Now onto the next problem!
regards
Derek

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.