ex-Dakar F650RR

Thread: ex-Dakar F650RR

Post Thanks / Like

Default ex-Dakar F650RR

I'm researching the F 650 RR ex-dakar bikes in the UK in preparation for mine going up for auction in the UK in a few weeks time.
    Does anyone know what happened to the ones raced by Charlie Boorman, Simon Pavey and Nick Plumb?
    Here's a bit about mine:

BMW F 650 RR ex-Dakar Rallye 2004/05

This is one of the two bikes built by the French Police "L’équipe Africa Raid Aventure" in the Autumn of 2003 for the 2004 and 2005 Dakar.
    They were supplied new directly by BMW France as standard F650 GS Dakar's and then converted by the team using the Touratech Rallye kit. Mine was ridden by Vincent Puren (#78) in the 2004 Dakar, he retired on the 8th stage due to a damaged engine casing. During preparation for the 2005 Dakar it was fitted with many custom made aluminium parts fabricated by the team engineer Donatien Martineau including the air box and high capacity oil tank. In the race it was ridden by Rodolphe Devedija (#78) and he made it to the finish in 87th place.
    Team story and images, africa-raid-aventure.net
    In 2007 it was sold to an Amercan who planned to race it but ended up only using it for occasional trail riding in Spain. He repainted it and upgraded many parts. It was subsequently put into storage in 2012 and unused until I bought it in 2020.
    I have recommissioned it with the intention of using it to explore the local back roads and 4x4 trails around Mont Blanc, France. It is very easy to ride, all the controls are nicely weighted and as you would expect it is incredibly stable both off and on road. But having now ridden it for a few months I've realized I'm not quite as sharp as I was when I raced in the 1980's and should perhaps ride something a little more sedate!
    The engine is standard apart from being "blue printed".
    It has 3 sets of wheels:
    Desert - Excel 21/18 rims fitted with Michelin Desert (new)
    Trail - Excel 21/18 rims fitted with Mitas E-07 (new spring 2020)
    Road - BMW 19/17 rims fitted with Metzeler Tourance / Enduro 3 Sahara (usable)
    There is an extensive collection of spare parts including a complete engine.
    It is French road registered with a "carte grise".
    Shipping can be arranged world wide at bidders expense.
    Specification includes:
    WP upside-down fork
    WP rear shock
    Fuel tanks with a total volume of 53 litres and QD couplings
    Roadbook and IMO-100R50 rallye
    Large capacity oil tank and oil cooler
    Large capacity airfilter
    Large capacity radiators with an independent fan.
    Twin Cibie headlights (1 xenon, 1 H4)
    Aluminium sump guard with tool box.
    Leather seat with storage compartment
    Nikko titanium race silencer with large bore header (it is believed this is a “works”item)
    Quick action throttle and adjustable short reach clutch/brake levers
    LED hi-viz rear and brake light
    Custom made paddock stand
    Full Touratech Rallye kit description is here www.vmar.com/touratech/f650/index.html

Notes:
    It starts "on the button" and is ready to ride.
    The scuffs on the fuel tanks and side panels are superficial.
    A secondary fuel filter is visible in the images but will be removed prior to sale. It was installed to monitor the fuel quality during the restart.
    Roadbook is disconnected
    IMO works but requires a new internal (hard wired) battery to access memory functions.
    LED indicators are fitted but are not connected (LED solenoid in spares kit but not tested)

There is a full set of images on this thread on advrider and some interesting comments about it and it's components:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-o...#post-40817041

2. Likeskuyajonathan liked this post
    Bike
    GS/Gd Dakar 2003
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a comprehensive 'rebuild' of the standard Dakar, completely different animal.
    i had good look at Charlie Bloorman's "Dakar" & met him at a Bradford theatre when on his UK tour about his trips . Took photos, now lost I fear after PC 'failed'. Similar to your bikes mods.
    2003 GS Dakar
    BMW Panniers, top box, tank bag
    + loads TT stuff that came with it!

Bike
    05 Dakar
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve seen one or more of the RR’s at the NEC bike show in past years on the BMW stand.