2002 f650gs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2002 f650gs

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2002 f650gs

Hi guys, just picked up a 2002 f650gs dakar, and I am looking for some guidance.
    I will be using the bike as a commuter and doing some light lanning on it.
    What are the best mods to do with these machines?
    How are these bikes with waterproofing against electrics, I noticed the housing behind the clocks is no longer sealed.
    Any known issues to keep a eye out for?
    What sort of milage do you expect from these engines if well maintained?
    Is there a option to raise the height apart from getting more foam added in the seat, handle bar risers?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, there are loads of mods that can be done to these bikes and quite a few places to buy parts, the sky and the depth of your pockets being the limit.

As for things to watch out for will be similar to other 18 year old bikes. Just ride it and keep it in good fettle and you won't go far wrong.

As for the height, you can get longer dog bones to raise the rear a bit but to get it a lot taller you will need to change the forks and rear shock.

You could if you really wish change quite a few bits and make yourself a Paris Dakar racer.

Bike
    F650GS 2005 Twinspark
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the main issues are probably:

- water pump seals can fail quite early - look for fluid at the weep hole
    - steering head bearings can fail quite early - probably worth a bit extra grease maintenance than you would do normally

I use mine for commuting all winter in very wet and cold conditions and have never had an electrical problem because of it.
    I did have the side stand switch fail but that was due to wear not wet weather.

Also be aware that it's a dry sump engine so you need to check the oil as per the manual to avoid over-filling it.
    i.e. get the bike up to temperature then turn off and wait 1 minute before checking and adjusting the level.

Buzz.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F650.co.uk
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

The online educational model allows a person to complete any educational degree according to his own pace. I would like to hire uk essay writing service for help in research paper. Most of the colleges and universities are offering several online courses that’s why one may enroll in any of his desired choices.

6. Thanks LOL GEOFF thanked for this post
    Likes LOL GEOFF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Everything Buzz Said
    I have a 2001 with 85000km. Motor is still strong. My bike is used mainly for long off road trips so hard life all round. Issues so fare are water pump seals, oil pressure sender and instrument cluster failed all after 80000km and all easy repaired by me. Not bad really! Must do mods for off road were crash bars and bark busters as the bm one are useless. Rear shock is toast but I have serviced it a couple of times to increase it longevity. I put a Wiseco fuel module on recently and it woke the engine up like it had a bomb up its bum. Best bang for buck mod so fare. Listen to Buzz re the oil it’s important. Have fun it’s a cracka bike, big heavy old and heaps of fun. I bit like me!

Post Thanks / Like

You can raise the height of seats by adding more foam to it. I did that with my previous model and it helped UK essay writing service to share the information as well on the latest insights of 2002 f650gs Dakar. The only concern should be the up-keeping of your bike.

Bike
    GS/Gd Dakar 2003
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice bit of SPAM Antony
    2003 GS Dakar
    BMW Panniers, top box, tank bag
    + loads TT stuff that came with it!

Post Thanks / Like

Always feeling something bigger something real wild (real wild)
    Keep on shining, make it brighter than a spotlight (spotlight).hole io

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there! My congratulation on buying this bike. I have the same one. Do not forget to check its condition. I recommend you to follow this website, they compare the best BMW scan tool. You can either read about it if you still do not have a scan tool or there is a lot of information about how to use it. So, read it to understand the importance of the scanning process.

Bike
    2002 F650GS Dakar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkUltra View Post
    Hi there! My congratulation on buying this bike. I have the same one. Do not forget to check its condition. I recommend you to follow this website, they compare the best BMW scan tool. You can either read about it if you still do not have a scan tool or there is a lot of information about how to use it. So, read it to understand the importance of the scanning process.
    Disgusting SPAM promoting useless devices