BMW F650 Forums banner

Front brake disc

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Buzz 
#1 ·
Hi,

Haven't used my F650 GS Dakar (2004) in 4 years, so I'm doing a big service at the moment. Cleaning her inside out, all fluids, tyres, chain etc... All looking pretty good so far.

My current disc has 4.3mm – so I guess could hope for a lenient MOT, but wouldn't bank on it.
Trying to keep costs down, I found some brake discs on eBay for about £60. Quite the bargain compared to the original. I usually buy my parts from Motorworks – but unfortunately they don't have any bargain discs.
How about the bolts? Can I reuse them? If not: can I use standard stainless steel bolts, or better stick with original BMW?

Would you buy a non-original disc from eBay? (My thinking is: it's a stainless steel piece of metal, so why not?)
Or can you recommend any other online parts dealers than Motorworks (not just discs, also other things)?

Thank you!

#2 ·
I just got an advisory on my last MoT for rear disc wear so I replaced with a brembo disc from motorworks - also ordered new bolts.

Had trouble getting one of the bolts out - was working back and fore when it snapped.
Wouldn't shift with an easy-out, well not with the amount of force I was prepared to give it.
Managed to drill it out bang on centre and clean threads up so didn't need insert or oversize bolt.

Think Nippy Norman's also do lots of BMW stuff.

Buzz.

#3 ·
When replaced my rear disc (from Nippy Norman's ) but got other bits From at Jefferies (BMW main dealer) Parts manager said you Will need new bolts when replacing disc, as heads gets chewed up.
Existing ones were in good nick so used proper fitting Allen key, tightened slightly to break lock fluid, then undid easily. I refitted them, had no problems after 7k miles. new ones ready just in case

#4 ·
Lucky bugger! I used really nice set of Japanese allen keys with really tight tolerances I've had for decades. Before I started, I gave each bolt a thump with a punch/hammer and soaked in plus gas for half an hour. Then heated the wheel up around each bolt and tightened then loosened and worked back and forward each bolt. All came out except one that broke. That one seemed to be turning nicely but it was actually the bolt failing.

Buzz.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.