2004 f650gs fueling problem ?

Thread: 2004 f650gs fueling problem ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2004 f650gs fueling problem ?

Hi ,I have just started to get my f650 gs going again due to various reasons allowing me to do so ,problem being it has been sitting for at least 5 years . I have from getting nothing from start ,to new battery , clean tank ,change fuel pump <quantum kit> ,clean lines and change motronic relay< yellow> , bingo she started all be it a bit lumpy . Next move was put some injector cleaner in it and take for a test, here we go - drove at about 20-40 mph in traffic, speed limits etc in gears 3/4th pulsing ,stuttery almost as if a loose wire but put in 5th was fine ,then coming to stop was always keeping to 2000 rpm to avoid possible stall. Take off from lights 1-5 about 3-4000 rpm fine sitting at about 60-70 mph then full throttle bog bog bog ,ease off throttle from full ,starts to want to pull again .Decide return home wait to get more time to put more miles on it, than the 15miles I have just done . Come out a day later ,no start ,pump buzzing /priming /fuel coming out it at top , no fuel coming out entrance to injector body, it looks like the silver tub filter thing ,my question is new one and does my spiel defo sound like a fuelling issue ?

Update took off fuel lines and silver tub ,blew down lines with compressor , thin pipe clear and petrol flu out ,larger pipe seems blocked ,I take it this should be clear also ?
    Last edited by Badgermac; 05-07-2020 at 01:26 PM.

Bike
    2002 dakar
    Post Thanks / Like

The silver tub is the fuel filter and regulator combined.
    Would definitely change it as a matter of course as it is a service item and would be the most likely suspect in your problems.
    £73 from motorbins at the moment.
    Another thing I would maybe change as I have had problems recently is the oxygen sensor £60 my bike was always running rich sooty plug when checking and just not as smooth as previously. New sensor fitted and running spot on again and a lot smoother I believe this should be changed 60k anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Daveyboy thanks for reply will go with new reg /fuel filter <couldnt think of name > thought you could service it but site I saw on, had only split it to let you see the workings. Will order one and fit ,will leave the oxygen sensor for moment ,until I try and as there is only 15k on bike ,fingers crossed ,,many thanks again will give an update .

4. Remove Advertisements
    F650.co.uk
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again just a wee update ,got the fuel filter / regulator and fitted ,took bike out to test ,certainly better ,but still no full throttle and bogging when coming to stop, had checked plugs look like never been changed so gona go with a new set ,gona clean throttle sensor while there and try again , the bike needs tyres and a bmw recall for wire chaffing< somewhere around relays> ,so while the bike is at bmw will get them to put diagnostics on it and see if it picks up anything ? I know Daveyboy said try the oxygen sensor also but I think the diagnostics should pick it up before I replace it and I am thinking more injector as bike had been sitting for so long . please certainly correct me as this is all new to me <injectors ,sensors etc > as previously only worked with 2 strokes and carbs

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again just a wee update ,put new plugs in and took injector to fitter in work to soak for a day in ultrasonic bath ,stuck back together and took a run all sorted now, . running sweet . I would like to take time to thank Daveyboy for pointing me in the right direction and giving me info that ill take onboard for any future issues , again

7. Likeskuyajonathan liked this post