G650GS Sertao (trickle) battery charger and how to connect it up

Thread: G650GS Sertao (trickle) battery charger and how to connect it up

Post Thanks / Like

Default G650GS Sertao (trickle) battery charger and how to connect it up

Hi all,

I'm new to biking and maintaining a bike. I own a G650GS Sertao, which feels like the perfect first bike.

Obviously I've not been able to ride my bike due to covid-19, but I went to check on my bike after not running it for more than 4 months and the battery is almost dead -- the lights on the dashboard come on but the bike won't start. I had a feeling this would happen and should've put it on a trickle charge at the beginning of winter.

So now, i'm wondering what's the best method of charging the battery, and I have a lot of questions:

- Charge through a trickle charger? Heard a lot of people talking about optimate chargers on this forum, so i think it's my best bet -- https://www.optimate.co.uk/products/optimate-4-bmw, although maybe a 3 instead of a 4 as i don't think the Sertao has CAN-bus?
    - I know i can jump start the bike with the positive terminal under the seat --
    - Can i also wire a trickle charger up to the positive terminal under the seat and ground it on the frame? This post here seems to suggest i can -- https://www.f650.co.uk/forums/showth...873#post195873
    - Or do i need to take the frame off and wire something up permanently to the battery? If so any guides on how to do this?

Cheers!
    Ankur

2. LikesMlaite liked this post
    Bike
    02 dakar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an oxford chager on 1 bike and c tek on another both work fine. Fitment simple red to positive on battery and other , usually black to negative of battery. Remember negative off first and then positive on first when reconnecting battery. Negative you have to do the job, positive you have finished it.

4. Thanksankur thanked for this post
    Bike
    2014 G650GS
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Battery Tender brand trickle charger which came with a pigtail that attaches to the battery and can be tie-wrapped to the frame for easy access. I have mine coming out the left front of the bike. I also have a jumper cable connection for easy battery jumping. I had a battery issue on the road once and found that it was a pain to have to remove the seat etc to jump start the bike.

6. Thanksankur thanked for this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    F650.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bike
    2014 G650GS
    Post Thanks / Like

OH, and to fully answer your question the trickle chargers usually come with easy to follow instructions. It's pretty straight forward. the pigtail has a red and black connector. Connect red to positive and black to negative on your battery and the run the cable to where you can reach it conveniently and tie wrap it to the frame making sure it is not touching anything that moves or get hot. That's pretty much it.

9. Thanksankur thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant! Thanks for the advice. I will give it a go and let you know how it went

Bike
    2002 F650GS Dakar
    Post Thanks / Like

Buy & fit the BMW accessory socket, it is fused & connects to battery, no need to have cables taped to frame or remove cowlings, makes service & diagnostics easier

Bike
    2014 G650GS
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a socket where I hook up my GS 911 but I am sure that is just for that purpose. Where does the accessory socket connect?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, nice! So then i could also charge my phone too when on long rides?

I found this after a quick search on the internet -- https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/S...20_IA_70_50_BA, look good to you? Or do you have a link/reference to the exact BMW accessory socket?

Cheers!

Bike
    2014 G650GS
    Post Thanks / Like

I an aftermarket accessory plug installed on my bike. I find that BMW accessories are a bit expensive. For example the battery trickle charger costs $193 USD!

Bike
    2002 F650GS Dakar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mlaite View Post
    I have a socket where I hook up my GS 911 but I am sure that is just for that purpose. Where does the accessory socket connect?
    he BMW accessory socket may or may not be fitted on the LHS behind the engine, it depends on year model & market whether it is fitted, it is a Merit socket with a black plastic spring cover, on the 00-04 single spark where it is not fitted it requires a kit which is not to badly priced at $US65, on the dual sparks & G Series the wiring is integrated into the main wiring harness so there is a fused AMP 2 pin connector there waiting to be connected if the mounting bracket & socket is purchased & fitted, BMW price is a bit high & so after market Merit sockets can be more economic along with making a bracket

When it is fitted it makes supporting the battery while diagnosing problems very easy as well as the best solution for battery charging, far better than SAE connectors

is on the LHS
    T