BMW F650 Forums banner

Dipped Beam Help Please

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  AWJDThumper 
#1 ·
Hope someone can help, I've got an F650GS 2007 and the headlight has stopped working on dipped beam, hi-beam still works and parking light is on tired jiggling everything, new bulb . But I'm limited on skills and have run out of ideas ….. please help me F650 Community you're my only hope:)

#4 ·
If it's a simple fuse replacement job then you'll need a new 7.5 mini blade fuse which I believe is the black coloured one. Unfortunately, they commonly come in 5, 10, 15 A versions and you may need to search a bit harder for a 7.5 A one.

#5 ·
If it is blown replace, hopefully that should solve issue, if it was bulb failing ( which they do) that caused it , easy fix. If originally blown bulb was blackened usually sign of excess voltage , if fuse blows after replacing then you are probable looking at short circuit somewhere, then the fun begins :roll:

#8 ·
Always good to check the fuses first, but most likely it is the low beam filament part of the headlight bulb that has burnt out. It's an H4 bulb that does both low and hi beam and the low beam filament always burns out first since it is on ALL the time. Cheap to replace if that's the case. Changed mine twice before switching to LED's in 2015.

Cheers.

#11 ·
still in the dark

thanks for the help so far guys but after a bit of tinkering and fuse checking , switching fuses about, swearing and throwing my teddy out of the pram I'm still without the dipped beam.
Everything else is working, horn, indicators etc, I've checked as much of the wiring loom as I can easily get too, around the headstock especially ,it all appears intact, tried yet another new bulb and still no joy.

Any other ideas ??? :think:

Cheers

#12 ·
The way the headlight works is that power comes via the load relief relay which is designed to switch off the headlight when you press the starter button. If the main beam still works it means the load relief relay is ok.

What I would do is to check the output voltages from fuses F4 and F5, When the LO beam is on, F4 should be at 12V and F5 at OV; When the HI beam is on, F4 should be 0V and F5 at 12V. Best way to check the voltages is using a multimeter - if not, you can use a spare bulb and wire connected to ground.

If the two output voltages don't behave as they should when you operate the headlight switch then the problem is between the switch and the fuses. If the voltages do behave as they should then the problem is between the fuses and the headlight.

Try these tests and let us know what you get!

#14 ·
Just to clarify:

1. The power to the headlight comes from the load relief relay

2. The load relief relay feeds power direct to the headlight switch

3. The two outputs from the headlight switch are connected through fuses F4 and F5 to the LO and HI headlight filaments

Hence looking at the voltages on fuses F4 and F5 (the same at both ends of each fuse) will tell you whether everything from the battery through the load relief relay and the headlight switch is working correctly. If this is the case then the problem lies between the fuse outputs and the headlight filaments.

#13 ·
After checking fuses/relays , check if you have power at bulb connector, if not wiring issue from relay via switch to headlight, dip Switch contacts get dirty, corroded. Fun n games to take it apart & clean up. Look up faq's first if wanna try

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.