BMW F650 Forums banner

Engine not starting

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Turngly 
#1 ·
After removing and replacing the engine covers to repair flaking paint, the engine will not turn over to start and makes a horrible 'graunching' sound from the right hand side of the engine. Having removed the RH cover again, I can see that the starter motor and gears are spinning (without the graunching) but are not turning the crank. When I try to turn the gears by hand they will not turn in the starting direction and freewheel in the opposite direction, as you would expect. This would suggest the sprag gear is working, but not when turned by the starter. Has anyone had similar issues?

#2 ·
Hi
It sounds like you are having a sprag gear problem
I had change mine due to old battery I did not replace in time !
It is easy to replace it !
you will need a flywheel puller !
you can get one on Ebay - 30 pounds
when replacing it - do replace all sprockets with new bearing near 330 pounds from BMW
sprag bearing is sold on it own but it needs to be with the gear cus exactly that is damaging the bearing !
a new battery highly recommended otherwise you will damage the new one as well !

#3 ·
Thanks for the response. Already ordered the tool as the sprag clutch was the suspect, so I really appreciate the confirmation based on your experience. It's a new bike to me and I only had two ride outs before putting it in the garage to carry out a deep Covid clean and tidy up. The noise when trying to re-start was very disconcerting.
Interesting what you say about replacing all the gears, I assume you mean the whole train from behind the sprag to the starter (3 in total).

#4 ·
Hi Again
probably I should have mentioned to order a gasket for engine cover
yes you do have understand correctly all 3 sprockets and bearing !
do not be worried once you replace it will be all fine !
long ago I have replace one for a friend of mine who still rides the bike !
He bought his one from Ebay - Italian manufacturer i believe
and still OK many years later
don't forget this bike was produced by Aprilia in Italy although BMW

#5 ·
I replaced the sprag clutch assembly and the graunching sound has gone. Unfortunately all I get is a click from the solenoid? with an occasional slight turn of the engine and no start. The obvious thought was the battery, but I have also replaced this and there is no change. Any ideas please, I'm at a loss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.