Lancashire Lockdown

Thread: Lancashire Lockdown

Bike
    F650GS Dakar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lancashire Lockdown

Hi Everyone,
    Just returned to Bikes after a thirty year hiatus (apart from a few off road days here & there)
    Invested in a F650GS Dakar 04 which has been garaged for the last 5 years.
    I have a few hours of work to do before I start the bike (Service, Filters, oil, tyres etc) is there anything else I need to be wary of for a bike that's not been used for 5+ years?
    Thanks

2. LikesBaza liked this post
    Bike
    GS/Gd Dakar 2003
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, welcome to the forum,
    Similar to myself, about 30 yrs when I came back to biking.
    yiubseem to know what you are doing, if not done it, squirt through plug hole small quantity of diesel, leave overnight before try to turn engine over, free up, lubricate rings, bore. I have turned engine over by hand turning rear wheel in gear, with plug out. Laborious but check oil circulating round all engine parts, it would have drained from valve, guides, cams, followers, let alone mains & big end in month or so, let alone 5 yrs !
    Probably included, coolant change, as well as oil. check brake pads, seals, likely to have seized, change fluid,
    Last edited by kuyajonathan; 10-05-2020 at 10:53 PM.
    2003 GS Dakar
    BMW Panniers, top box, tank bag
    + loads TT stuff that came with it!

Bike
    F650GS Dakar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I made sure the engine turned over in the same way you did. Good shout with the small amount of lubricant down the bore. I do wonder whether I should do a complete engine out & rebuild, but i'm impatient to get on the bike & ride it .

5. Remove Advertisements
    F650.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bike
    K1100RS, F650GS
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Saak41 View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    Just returned to Bikes after a thirty year hiatus (apart from a few off road days here & there)
    Invested in a F650GS Dakar 04 which has been garaged for the last 5 years.
    I have a few hours of work to do before I start the bike (Service, Filters, oil, tyres etc) is there anything else I need to be wary of for a bike that's not been used for 5+ years?
    Thanks

Hi LL,

If I were in your shoes I'd drain and flush ALL the fluids. I'd flush the engine oil as well as changing it. Five years is plenty for sediment to settle and get carried over to fresh oil.

And whilst you're at it check the valve clearances, and replace the two plastic gears which drive the water pump.
    Then you'll be good to go for a long time.

Oh yes, get the best sealed battery you can afford, its a pig to keep checking the level in a flooded battery.

Cheers
    Malcolm....
    Ex Lanky in SA
    A bike on the road is worth two in the shed, wise words from Ogri