Hello from County Durham

Thread: Hello from County Durham

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello from County Durham

Hello my name is David Caster and I am a now retired mechanical engineer serving my apprenticeship at ICI Wilton Middlesbrough which is where I am originally from. I worked on the North Sea and Northern Atlantic oil gas and pilot rigs as well as Norway finishing my time in Crook County Durham as shift engineer which is where my career ended when a scaffold I was working from collapsed and I fell 40 feet badly injuring my self.
    I have a 1979 Suzuki GS750 and 1979 Yamaha XS650. The BMW belongs to my dear friend who does not do internet as I will be assisting Jim with any repairs and services Jim has several bikes a Harley Davidson 1200 xlh a AJS350 an ex WD 1943 Norton 500 side valve also a Suzuki Bandit 600 and a Norton 500 Dominator ........so Jim has just purchased a 18 year old F650 CS with belt drive.

Which brings us to our first query....... the bike has a genuine 7000 miles mot backed. When in neutral there is approximately 20 to 25mm of lateral movement between the the drive belt sprocket and the wheel.....is this normal to me it seems that the cush drive is worn but only 7000 miles! It's BMW serviced from new, snick into gear there is no back lash any ideas please your advice is most welcome thank you and thank you for inviting me to join looking forward to many good reads.

2. LikesBaza liked this post
    Bike
    GS/Gd Dakar 2003
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, welcome to the forum,
    yous sound well qualified to help your friend.
    7,000 miles may not seem much, but it's 18 yrs old rubber, likely deteriorated. Like wise with drive belt, unless you got FSH to show otherwise ?
    2003 GS Dakar
    BMW Panniers, top box, tank bag
    + loads TT stuff that came with it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kuyajonathan View Post
    Hi, welcome to the forum,
    yous sound well qualified to help your friend.
    7,000 miles may not seem much, but it's 18 yrs old rubber, likely deteriorated. Like wise with drive belt, unless you got FSH to show otherwise ?
    Thank you for your invaluable reply I will advise Jim that he needs a new set of cush drive rubbers.
    Jim got the clever little stand that locates thru the rear wheel spindle, the chap who sold Jim the BMW F650 was a gentleman giving Jim a load of bits and bobs as well as the stand. Anyhow would really appreciate a heads up on replacing the cush drive do we need any special tools we have a huge plethora of tools between us...... I have read that the wheel nut socket provided by BMW is made of chocolate figuratively speaking, I will have a look through the forum as there is bound to be a written account.
    Jim had (we are both 58), I did some amature club rally driving in my youth and just for fun did a police drivers course and another time a special forces type driving course in my 30's when I could afford such things, although I do ride I am a very sedate rider I did 85 mph once!!!!
    But Jim on the other hand he used to race motorcycles and side cars he is a brilliant rider and over the years has had a great number of bikes he recently sold a BMW k1200 which was a lovely bike but bloody heavy and we are 58 Jim is my daughter's partner and they have a daughter, so because of this he sold about 2 years ago his sidewinder missile a Suzuki GSXR .1000 RIZLA a genuine one and it was tuned weighed 165lbs and had just shy of 190bhp it was very very fast like peel your eyelids back fast, anyhow enough about us and look forward to reading some interesting job breakdowns and photos thank you again guys and best wishes.