BMW F650 Forums banner

Fixing / replacing carburettor ... too much for an amateur DIY?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  stevedixey 
#1 ·
I'm no mechanic!

My sons F650 Funduro is puking petrol and the engine is flooded with oil/petrol mixture. Leaky carb's...

Engine should be ok though.

Thing is, to have the workshop fix it will cost approx 1/4-1/3 of what the bike is worth, so it would be nice to be able to fix it myself, while he's awayin Afghanistan for 6 months

Would it be too much of a challenge for someone who's not a mechanic?

Anyone in here who's done this procedure before?

Regards Soren - Denmark

#2 ·
Normally this type of flooding is due to the floats in the bottom of the 2 x carbs not shutting off the petrol when the bowls have the correct level of petrol in them. If the bike has not been used for a while, the petrol in the float bowl can become a bit gluttonous and cause things to stick. I'm not sure how much clearance there is under the carbs but I would be tempted to remove both float bowls with the carbs left in place to see if you can cure the problem. Like most things on the F650, having to remove the carbs entirely to properly clean them is a bit of a hassle.

Please see the attached YouTube video to see what's involved in solving the flooding problem.

#6 ·
The carbs are relatively easy if you take your time, have a clean workspace and are methodical. It is getting them out that is the drag.

Recommended is taking out the wheel, silencer and air box, working from the back of the bike.

A work-around involves slackening off everything around the carbs and wriggling \ levering them out. Getting them in again tries the patience of a saint :roll: There is a "how to" on the USA owners website Chain Gang

I've done the work-around three times but it never gets any easier and the risk of damaging "old" rubber now it is ageing increases so I've gone back to the recommended way.

Also, get a full service kit and do the lot because of the hassle of getting the carbs out. Been there done it and had to go through the whole process of taking them out again...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.