valve clearance adjustment experience

Thread: valve clearance adjustment experience

Bike
    2014 G650GS
    Post Thanks / Like

Default valve clearance adjustment experience

I just thought I would share my experience with the valve adjustment for my 2014 G650GS. I took a look at a few DIY videos on You Tube which did give me a little guidance as far as disassembly etc. For the most part I followed the manual and do have a TDC locking bolt I purchased on line. The interesting thing is that I found that the lines on the timing gear wear off by two teeth on the exhaust side and one tooth off on the intake gear. So what to do? I decided to just follow the manual and align them as per the manual. As per the manual you must remove the chain tensioner to remove the cam supports to get to the buckets. The clearances are intake .003 - .011mm exhaust .25 - .33 mm. I had one exhaust out of spec. It was .36 mm so I put in a thicker shim and got it to .028 as close as I could measure with the feeler gauge. So I did make the decision to align the TDC lines as per the manual a verified that the piston was indeed at top dead center the old fashioned way, by putting a drinking straw down the spark plug hole and moving the piston up and down. My only advice is to just follow the manual. I see some folks choose to tywrap the chain to the gear but then as someone, I believe in this site, pointed out you still do not know whether or not you moved off a tooth or two on the lower gear. So just follow the procedure in the book and you can't go wrong. Since I had everything apart I elected to change the air filter and spark plugs. I reassembled the bike. It started up on the first crank so that made me happy. I connected my G 911 diagnostic tool just to verify that I had not induced any issues and had no faults. I am grateful to the folks who took the time to do the DIY videos as it does give one an idea of the layout of the bike if you are disassembling it for the first time.

2. Thankskuyajonathan, Geecee thanked for this post
    LikesGeecee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How many miles have you done....why did you think you needed your valves adjusting?

Bike
    2014 G650GS
    Post Thanks / Like

Default valve adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by Geecee View Post
    How many miles have you done....why did you think you needed your valves adjusting?
    I have 19,000km on the bike. Two reasons. Number one because of this virus thing I cannot go anywhere and I was bored silly outta my mind and number two according to the service manual it close to being due. One exhaust valve was out of spec so I changed the shim thickness. I also changed the spark plugs, air filter, changed oil did and did a little corrosion control and paint touch up.

5. LikesGeecee liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F650.co.uk
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response. Mine has done 10,000 miles on a 2012 bike. I've seen the videos and it looks a right pain in the arse to do. Well done on changing the spark plugs at the same time, that is a massive pain to do too!

Bike
    2014 G650GS
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool G650GS valve clearance

Thanks for the response. Mine has done 10,000 miles on a 2012 bike. I've seen the videos and it looks a right pain in the arse to do. Well done on changing the spark plugs at the same time, that is a massive pain to do too!
    Yeap you are due. Follow the book and ya can't go wrong. Just make sure you are locked in to top dead center using the special locking bolt or homemade, and verify that the timing gears are lined up as per the manual. I did the extra step of making sure the piston is at top dead center by using the old sipping straw in the spark plug hole trick. Kinda belt and suspenders I know, but then I am an old helicopter mechanic. We tend to double check stuff!! The biggest pain is removing and installing the timing chain tensioner. If you luck out and your clearances are all in spec you will not have to endure this pain. Unfortunately I was not so lucky. At 10,000 miles you may just luck out though! Do yourself a favor though. While ya got the bike all torn a part if the plugs and air filter are anywhere near close change them! I have had all kinds of motorcycles in my brief 72 years on this earth, and I swear the engineer who designed this thing must have caught his wife with a motorcycle mechanic!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I changed the plugs at the start of winter. So this (Rotax) engine is used in loads of things...its just in this application, with this particular design (battery on top of it, no access from the sides) makes it a huge PITA to do anything at the top. Not being a helicopter engineer, but a software one, I'm more inclined to let a proper engineer do it and I'll pay them handsomely for it!

Bike
    2014 G650GS
    Post Thanks / Like

I am retired and motorcycles are my hobby so I have plenty of time on my hands to do my own maintenance. As I mentioned I have had numerous motorcycles in my lifetime and have done all of my own work on them. Besides this BMW I have a 2012 Triumph Bonneville which is a normal motorcycle!

Bike
    F650GS 2005 Twinspark
    Post Thanks / Like

I changed the plugs at the start of winter. So this (Rotax) engine is used in loads of things...its just in this application, with this particular design (battery on top of it, no access from the sides) makes it a huge PITA to do anything at the top. Not being a helicopter engineer, but a software one, I'm more inclined to let a proper engineer do it and I'll pay them handsomely for it!
    It does seem a bit daunting to dig so deep into the bike but I had a go and it's not so bad as you expect. It's only undoing stuff and pulling it out the way. More a confidence thing than actually difficult.
    Just saying in case you're thinking about having a go.

Buzz.

12. ThanksGeecee thanked for this post
    LikesGeecee liked this post
    Bike
    2014 G650GS
    Post Thanks / Like

Buzz is right. I must admit that I was a bit apprehensive at first but once I got going I did enjoy it....except for the 🤬 timing chain tensioner bolt!!! Oh, and I took a lot of photos!!!