Oil and Filter - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil and Filter

Bike
    YAMAHA XT 225 SEROW 1989 1KH
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont have one at the moment but im thinking strongly about obtaining one they look to have a good riding position how do you find the comfort ? anyway getting back to the oil change i was watching a guy change his on youtube and he was using a pump but why bother if they have sump plugs very strange
    i dont know where im going but i will when i get there

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catspaw View Post
    ok thanks very much for letting me know, does the oil tank in the dummy fuel tank have a drain plug as well
    Yes - at the bottom on the outside but you have to remove the plastic covers first from the dummy petrol tank - at least on the F650GS.
    2006 F650GS in Black
    9,300 Miles

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=catspaw;281707]i dont have one at the moment but im thinking strongly about obtaining one they look to have a good riding position how do you find the comfort ? anyway getting back to the oil change i was watching a guy change his on youtube and he was using a pump but why bother if they have sump plugs very strange[/QUOTE
    If I had one, I would use a pump to extract the oil from the oil tank - it would save the considerable effort of removing the plastic cover from the false tank. I would do the same with the sump oil if there was a way of getting the pump suction pipe into the bottom of the sump. The sump plug on the F650GS has been found to be a problem by some people because it is usually tight and has only a shallow hex head to take a socket.
    2006 F650GS in Black
    9,300 Miles

4. Remove Advertisements
    F650.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bike
    Post Thanks / Like

yes they have probably been over tightened by some enthusiastic gorillas

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with the sump plug is that it has to be done up with a torque of 40 Nm but this probably means you need to apply a torque of 60 Nm to undo it again the next time you change the oil. Unless you're very careful in locating the socket squarely on the very shallow hex nut, it's very easy for it to slip off and damage the nut. Once damaged, it's even harder to undo! Not one of BMW's better designs!
    2006 F650GS in Black
    9,300 Miles

Bike
    Post Thanks / Like

so maybe the way to go could be what Dakardave has and use a fumoto plug

Bike
    02 dakar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick valve uk have them for £24, maybe cheaper else where. I think motorworks bmw used to sell them. I didn't fit was on bike when I got it so don't know if it's hassle. Thread on here or chaingang I seem to recall. Good luck .

Bike
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for your input i will just have to get the bike first, while all this covid business is going on im not going out so managing to save up for it

Bike
    Post Thanks / Like

right just in case i need one what size spanner do i need for the sump plug i have heard that an offset spanner will do the job

Post Thanks / Like

You need to use a 24 mm socket on the drain plug. I think it is impossible to use a spanner to undo it because of the force normally required and the fact that the lower sub-frame gets in the way. When I undid mine for the first time, I believe I ended up having to use a breaker bar on the socket to apply enough force safely and avoid mangling the hex head..
    2006 F650GS in Black
    9,300 Miles