F650CS 2005 oil change question

Thread: F650CS 2005 oil change question

Post Thanks / Like

Default F650CS 2005 oil change question

I got the bike from someone who wanted to get rid of it quick as they had overfilled the oil and stalled it. Oil everywhere in breather etc. I opened the oil filter housing and took the oil filter out and found a small pin about 2 cm long with a seal near one end just sitting in the oil filter housing. Any ideas where it came from? I can’t find anything in the diagrams.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like the non return valve pin. The NRV normally sits under the slotted screw in the filter enclosure and includes a spring and the sealing rubber fitted on the end. I would undo the screw (you might need an impact wrench) and check whether the NRV is still there. The only other thing the pin could be is one of the ones in the oil pump holding the rotors in place but I would be surprised if they could come loose and end up where you found this one
    2006 F650GS in Black
    9,300 Miles

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I will fish around for a spring. I shall open that slotted screw. Any idea which end the washer is on.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F650.co.uk
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

I am more familiar with the earlier air cooled Rotax engine which has a single NRV accessible via a slotted screw in the oil filter enclosure. However, having looked a bit more closely, I can now see that the F650GS engine has actually got two NRVs accessible via two separate slotted screws (one is a plain screw but the other has a hole in it). Therefore, it looks as though one of your slotted screws is missing and what you are looking at is the remains of the NRV that was underneath it! You therefore appear to be missing the slotted screw, the NRV spring and the rubber seal that should be on the end of the pin you found.
    2006 F650GS in Black
    9,300 Miles

Post Thanks / Like

The screw with the hole it (at about 4 o’clock) is just recessed more then the other. There are no threads in the recess for a slotted screw. I can find any pics or fiche diagrams showing a blow up of the parts there. Did you find some?

Post Thanks / Like

The attached link shows what I believe is what you should find inside the oil filter housing:

http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/OtherRepairs.html
    2006 F650GS in Black
    9,300 Miles

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the parts diagram showing the NRV's. The NRV pins are (10); there are two different springs (8) and (9); a common rubber seal (11); and two slotted screws (5) and (6).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2006 F650GS in Black
    9,300 Miles