High mileage F650GS Dakar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High mileage F650GS Dakar

Post Thanks / Like

Default High mileage F650GS Dakar

Hi All
    I'm currently in the market for my first bike, and am eyeing up a 2004 F650GS Dakar. The catch is that it has gone 80,000 km (50,000 miles). A number of threads in this forum suggest that the bikes can go a long way without running into problems, but most of those threads are about 20 years old. What mileage would you expect to start getting into mechanical issues with a bike like this and requiring engine rebuilds etc?

Post Thanks / Like

If the owners have looked after it very carefully and changed the oil regularly then 50k miles is not a huge mileage for an F650GS engine. The engine is fitted with a Nikosil lined cylinder which means that the bore should last a long time. The engine bits that will probably wear are the clutch plates, the valves and its seals, and possibly the water pump seals. Therefore it's important to check the engine runs well, the clutch doesn't slip, the engine does not smoke and there's no water in the engine oil and no dripping from weep hole under the pump. All the other bits on the bike including wheel, steering head and suspension bearings can wear out at any time and are easily replaced and are probably not something to worry much about. Finally, the component which does give problems and is difficult to repair are the rev counter and speedo dials. Check that both work properly and don't jitter because this could mean a faulty stepper motor or a problem with the electronic board.
    2006 F650GS in Black
    9,300 Miles

3. ThanksDoktaDave thanked for this post
    Likesklemkas liked this post
    Bike
    GS/Gd Dakar 2003
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with above, pretty robust motors, why popular choices for long distance treks, spare availability good too, if got service history, doesn't look bodged , good pointers.
    2003 GS Dakar
    BMW Panniers, top box, tank bag
    + loads TT stuff that came with it!

5. ThanksDoktaDave thanked for this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F650.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bike
    F650GS 2005 Twinspark
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with all above .... only comment to add would be water pumps seals seem to need replacing more than more normal consumable items like bearings!

So definitely look for coolant at the weep hole but don't let it put you off buying the bike, just factor in the cost/time to fix.

If you're into DIY then you're probably around the £80 region for replacement pump shaft/seals, clutch cover gasket, oil, coolant, o-rings, crush washers etc.

Some of it you might be doing anyway on a new-to-you bike - oil, coolant for example.

Not sure what a shop would charge.

I've heard similar about the steering bearings - mine needed changing at 9000 miles but has done more since and is fine - although I re-grease it annually now.

Buzz.

8. ThanksDoktaDave thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a fantastic website and I can not recommend you guys enough. BUY ACTAVIS COUGH SYRUP

Bike
    GS/Gd Dakar 2003
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arianna View Post
    This is a fantastic website and I can not recommend you guys enough. BUY ACTAVIS COUGH SYRUP
    glad you approve the website, thank you for recommendation,
    does this cough syrup help with Spam induced coughs?
    2003 GS Dakar
    BMW Panniers, top box, tank bag
    + loads TT stuff that came with it!

11. Thanksklemkas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your music is amazing. You have some very talented artists. I wish you the best of success. national caregiver certification association

Post Thanks / Like

I curious more interest in some of them hope you will give more information on this topics in your next articles. Director of Staff Development training online

Post Thanks / Like

Cool you write, the information is very good and interesting, I'll give you a link to my site. Bulk kratom

Post Thanks / Like

It is imperative that we read blog post very carefully. I am already done it and find that this post is really amazing.Defend the Police Shirt