Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: LH indicator stays on

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Again
    All 3 totally disconnected.
    Lh on.fuse in.
    Fuse out nothing in the way of indicators
    Dead.
    Fuse back in left hand indicator back on. Front and back.
    All with ignition on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is possible that the problem may lie with the indicator switch which may not quite work in the way shown in the circuit diagram given in the Haynes manual. The problem may also be related to the fact that the handlebars were changed. If I can get at the connector for this switch on my F650GS, I'll see if can do some tests to confirm my suspicions.
    2006 F650GS in Black
    9,300 Miles

Bike
    F650GS 2005 Twinspark
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be interested to see what you get with the diode to green wires replaced (to power indicators), both hazard relays OUT, fuse 2 out AND dash indicator bulb (one with two blue wires) removed.

If you're lucky, your indicators may both work.

Buzz

4. Remove Advertisements
    F650.co.uk
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Buzz
    Not sure about
    "with the diode to green wires replaced (to power indicators),"
    Have been reluctant about removing the
    Console,is it complicated.
    MK66.

Bike
    F650GS 2005 Twinspark
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing the instrument cluster complete is (from memory) easy - much easier than getting to the diodes will have been.

I think you remove the screen (may not need to, can't remember) then some screws in the black shroud which probably then comes off and then I think some clips that hold the instrument cluster on (like for the oil tank) and it comes off. I'm sure I did this once before and it only took minutes.

You don't need to dismantle the cluster, just get access to the back.

I think (again from memory) that you can pull the bulb out the back.

I just found this wiring diagram on the crossroadz site which may be helpful in general for this fault:

http://www.crossroadz.com.au/F650GS/.../GSFlashrA.pdf

Buzz.

EDIT: You've removed 3 diodes. The two that had blue wires going to them were to stop the LH and RH indicators turning each other on.

The third diode that had green wires is the one that provides power (12v) to the indicator and hazard flasher circuits. That's the one that you want to put back. You'll need to make sure it's connected the right way round.
    Put it back and test the hazard flashers. If they don't work, try turning it around.
    Last edited by Buzz; 19-01-2020 at 06:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

MK66. Even with considerable motorcycle wiring harness expertise and an electronics engineering background, I have found it to be extremely difficult to come up with a simple way in which the present wiring could be modified to simulate the fault you have. It's most likely that the problem has arose from what has been done at the connectors for the relay array in the electric box - as a minimum, I assume the previous owner has removed the wiring that used to go from the relay array to the ABS and hazard warning light switches. He might well have (inadvertently) done something else in this area which has now caused the problem. I half suspect the wiring might include some extra diodes that are not in the wiring diagram!

I therefore think the wiring needs to be carefully traced within the indicator circuit to work out what is going on. I'd happily do this for you if you lived near enough but it would be hard to explain how to go about it in the required detail.
    2006 F650GS in Black
    9,300 Miles

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,Buzz,AW
    Been hit with a cold, sorry; man Flu!!
    If you want to visit the patient its near Banbury,Oxfordshire.
    Will have ago at the indicator bulb in the console when I can brave the cold again .
    MK

Post Thanks / Like

Mk. I live at the bottom end of the county on the River Thames. When you've got over your man flu, I'd be happy to travel up the A34/M40 to help out with your problem. John
    2006 F650GS in Black
    9,300 Miles

Bike
    F650GS 2005 Twinspark
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Mk66,

So to confirm:

You've removed:
    the two hazard flasher relays,
    fuse 2,
    the two diodes that had blue coloured wires going into them and
    the instrument cluster indicator bulb

and then put ignition on and tried left and right indicators.

Left - works properly, Right flashes left & right at the same time?

As it's easy,

1.you could repeat the test but with the plug to the rear disconnected and check you get the same results (on the front indicators) albeit probably flash faster.
    That would rule out the problem being at the rear of the bike. Think we've pretty much done that already, but easy to check.

2.you could repeat the test but with the rear plugged back in and unplug each front indicator one at a time and check what happens.
    Just looking to see if removing any of the indicators fixes the problem. Unlikely, but simple to do.

With all the stuff listed removed, there shouldn't be anything connecting right to left, but not left to right. Even a short or wiring fault would normally connect in both directions.

Only option I can think of at the moment is if there's a fault on the indicator switch at the handlebar.
    So when you push for left you only get the left contact made but when you push right you get both contacts made.

3.Next step: I'd take the switch apart and have a look - see what it looks like inside.

Buzz.

(Bold is just to highlight important bit in long email - I'm not shouting, honest!)

Post Thanks / Like

The great difficulty with this problem is that it is very hard to identify what fault could possibly explain the symptoms reported, in particular, the fact that the LH indicators stays on even after the ignition is switched off and then works normally when fuse F2 is taken out. I thought of a way of simulating the symptoms on paper but it required a modification to the wiring and the presence of another diode in the circuit which is not shown in even the factory wiring diagram. It's a very intriguing problem but, I suspect, needs to have all the indicator wiring carefully traced through to be able to work out exactly what is going on.
    2006 F650GS in Black
    9,300 Miles