LH indicator stays on - Page 3

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LH indicator stays on

Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    1 and 2. Yes. The rest of it will have to check out tomorrow. But I'm pretty sure that last bit about removing the flasher unit, which I did at the start didn't do anything they stayed on.
    Thanks
    Mk66

Bike
    F650GS 2005 Twinspark
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok that's progress.

If you can disconnect the dash and see if the front LH indicator goes out or not, that would test one source of 12v into the blue/red.
    Alternatively, if you can take the indicator bulb out of the dash that would also do it.

Another potential source of 12v you could test is to reconnect the rear light but unplug the left front indicator. The plug is behind the silver panel held on with 4 torx screws.
    If you unplug that and the rear light goes off, then the short is to do the the front turn signal. (Probably not, but easy to test).

You could try and remove fuse 2 and see if that turns the lights off. The power to keep the hazard flashers running after you've taken the key out comes through fuse 2, so that could point us towards the right direction.

However, my best guess at the moment is that whatever was done with the hazard flasher switch is the problem.
    If the switch has gone, somewhere you've got the brown/white, blue/yellow and brown wires that went to the switch.

I think that if the blue/yellow and brown/white have connected, then the power for the hazard light switch could find earth through your left indicator circuit and instrument bulb.

Buzz.
    Last edited by Buzz; 16-01-2020 at 07:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

In cases like these, it tends to be what a previous owner has done to the bike that is the cause of problems and not some inexplicable shorting of the wiring harness, although in rare cases this can happen.

As Buzz says, the hazard warning circuit has to be the prime suspect especially if the original switch is no longer there. Since the hazard warning lights are no longer functioning, the two yellow hazard warning light relays should be removed (front left) which should isolate most of this unused circuit from the bike. However, to isolate it completely, there are two diodes that would need to be removed although I'm not absolutely sure where they are
    2006 F650GS in Black
    9,300 Miles

4. Remove Advertisements
    F650.co.uk
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    3=yes

4=Ignition on and rear harness unplugged front right indicator flashing very quickly.and console light.

Lastly taking the two or one yellow relay out doesn't do anything, indicator lights stay on.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    Buzz
    trouble trying to find the console disconnection.
    Tried the unplugging the front indicator. But the rear indicator still stays on.

With fuse 2 out the left indicator works normally. Using the right indicator all the indicators are on like hazard lights, but the green light on the console doesn't Flash
    Hey Hey!!.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MK66 View Post
    Hi
    With fuse 2 out the left indicator works normally. Using the right indicator all the indicators are on like hazard lights, but the green light on the console doesn't Flash
    Hey Hey!!.
    I think you may have just narrowed down where the problem may lie!! Taking out F2 also removes the unswitched power to the dash and I assume the clock display must have gone out when you removed the fuse?

The unswitched power that goes via F2 also goes to power any optional equipment fitted - is there an extra equipment wired into the bike, possibly, by the previous owner?
    2006 F650GS in Black
    9,300 Miles

Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    The ABS switch looks abit basic and the heated grips has its own "black box" but is powered through the original switch on the rh handle bar.
    In looking for the wires for the Hazard lights i couldn't see the relevant colours .
    I have put a picture on of a dodgy connection,black and brown wires on one side.Don't now if the picture comes up very well!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bike
    F650GS 2005 Twinspark
    Post Thanks / Like

Well we're getting closer ....

So the LH indicator is being powered by the permanent live from fuse 2.
    It is supposed to arrive in a red/yellow wire into one of the relays.

Given the 'aftermarket' plug with brown and black wires in your picture, it looks like the wiring has been altered by the PO.
    It's likely the red/yellow live is somehow getting to the blue/red for the LH indicator.

The fact that the right hand indicator now also flashes the LH indicator may be due to a faulty diode (which is supposed to stop that happening).
    I think the 3 diodes are under the tray holding the fuses.

It would be worth untaping the wiring from that aftermarket plug and seeing what's been done.

I guess we'll end up with two options - to try and get the wiring back to standard with hazard flashers or maybe to alter what's there to get the blinkers all working but without hazard flashers which might be easier.
    I'm not sure, but it's possible that removing the relays for the hazard flasher and removing the diodes might do this.

Can you confirm the hazard flasher switch has gone?

I'll think a bit more about it over the weekend and get back to you with any thoughts.

Buzz.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    The ABS switch looks abit basic and the heated grips has its own "black box" but is powered through the original switch on the rh handle bar.
    In looking for the wires for the Hazard lights i couldn't see the relevant colours .
    I have put a picture on of a dodgy connection,black and brown wires on one side.Don't now if the picture comes up very well!!
    I think you will need to remove the tape to determine what's underneath but it's highly likely to have something to do with your problem since it is definitely non-standard. The RH wires appear to be coming from the harness but do you know where the LH wires are going to?

The other thing I can see in the picture is that the 2 x hazard relays hiding under the taped connectors are still in place. Were the tests reported with F2 removed carried out with these two relays still there? If so, could the tests be repeated after removing them?
    2006 F650GS in Black
    9,300 Miles

Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    I've been having a closer look at the picture of your wiring which looks very heavily modified. It would be useful to also know where the rest of the wires emerging out from the harness middle right are going to. There seems to be a total of 9 wires, 4 of which go to the dodgy looking taped connectors but where do the remaining 5 appear to go? And what is the blue connector block bottom right being used for.

Again, since you no longer have a hazard warning light switch, it would make further fault finding a bit simpler if you could remove the 2 x yellow hazard relays because they no longer serve any useful purpose and might be part of the problem.
    2006 F650GS in Black
    9,300 Miles