Just been out and pulled everything out,
    LH light still on .
    Is the instrument cluster the
    Big orange one?
    Hazard switch must of been left off when
    Previous owner put Renthal bars on.
    Mk66

Post Thanks / Like

Are the two hazard warning light relays still in place (yellow front left)? If so, you may need to trace what happened to the hazard warning light switch.

As suggested, it might be a good idea to disconnect the warning light loom from the dash. This should be via the connector on the end of a cable that comes out of the back of the dash. I would also try disconnecting the wiring harness that goes to the back of the bike. The connector for this should be under the front of the seat attached to the RH side of the BMS.
    2006 F650GS in Black
    9,300 Miles

Bike
    F650GS 2005 Twinspark
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there are two plugs into the instrument cluster but I can't see mine without taking it apart.
    The one you want should have a blue/red and a blue/black wire into it (that go to the indicator bulb).
    If in doubt, pull both plugs to be sure.
    Buzz.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F650.co.uk
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

The picture shows the back of the dash. One of the plugs connects with the circuit board that powers the dials - the rectangular hole is where this connector goes. The other connectors is at the end of the short bit of harness (bottom right) and, as can be seen, powers all the dash warning lights. This is the connector that needs to be disconnected to check whether the indicator warning light is the problem which would only happen if some part of the wiring harness had shorted together.

Unfortunately, to disconnect the dash light connector you have to lift the dash clear of its mountings which is a bit of a pain!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2006 F650GS in Black
    9,300 Miles

Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    Yellow and others all out and all other wire connections.
    Lost sight of the cable from the display so pulled a connection apart by the fuses
    Parallel with the frame,bingo,LH off .
    (Double checked)were does that take us.??
    See picture.

Mk66
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the connector in the picture is for the rear harness - if so, you have disconnected the rear lights and indicators. If you try the indicators now, do the front ones still work?
    2006 F650GS in Black
    9,300 Miles

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, you need to put the flasher relay back in first otherwise non of the indicators will work!!
    2006 F650GS in Black
    9,300 Miles

Bike
    F650GS 2005 Twinspark
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with AWJDT - looks like connector to rear lights (brake, tail, L and R indicators).

If removing that plug puts both front/rear left indicator OFF and refitting the plug puts them both back ON then you're making progress - fault is likely to be in wiring to the rear lights somewhere.

Wire colours in that plug are:

Grey/Black is tail light live from fuse 7 via ignition switch
    Green/red is brake light live
    Blue/Black is RH indicators
    Browns are earths
    Blue/Red is LH indicators

You could test for voltage at each pin in that plug (on the front side) with it apart.

With the key out (but not in Park) you shouldn't have voltage on any pin. If you have, it suggests a fault. But also you can then try to work out how that voltage is getting to the Blue/Red for the LH indicators.

With it all back together and the LH indicator lit up, you could try removing fuse 7 (which feeds the grey/black via the ignition switch) and see if it goes out.
    If it does, it would suggest a short between the grey/black and blue/red (which is the LH indicator).

You could also try unplugging the LH rear indicator. If that puts the front left indicator light out it suggests the short is in the earth side of the rear light.

Buzz.
    Last edited by Buzz; 15-01-2020 at 07:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Evening,
    The picture I showed you before.

when that is disconnected turns off the lights and the green indicator light on the display.
    The connecter fixed to the CPU unit also turns the lights off but not the green indicator light on the display. The connector fixed to the CPU unit has wires
    going to the tail light. Taking fuse 7 out. Doesn't seem to do anything lights stay on green indicator light on dash stays on. Disconnecting the rear indicator does not affect the front indicator ,still on. We have 12 volts on the Red Blue wire ,front part of the plug and I noticed the rear indicator is off. But the front indicator is on and the green light on the display is on. Okay, the rear light is out because the power isn't getting through the plug to the rear lights because the plugs pulled apart. !!
    Need to lay down.....

So the blue red is live .
    Mk66.

Post Thanks / Like

Could you please clarify a few things:

1. With the ignition off and the flasher relay in place, fuse F7 in place and the rear harness connected, are the LH indicators on and not flashing and the indicator warning light on and not flashing?

2. With the ignition on and everything connected, are the LH indicators on and not flashing but do the RH indicators and indicator warning light flash when the indicator switch is moved to the right?

3. With the rear harness unplugged, what happens when the ignition is off? Same as in (1)?

4. With the rear harness unplugged, what happens with the ignition on? Same as in (2)?

I assume the LH indicators stay on and do not flash until you disconnect the flasher relay when the lights go out?
    2006 F650GS in Black
    9,300 Miles