F650gs Instrument swap

Thread: F650gs Instrument swap

Post Thanks / Like

Default F650gs Instrument swap

Hi Guys,
    Just after a bit information.
    I have a 2009 F650GS with the basic instruments is no computer. My question is if i fit a set of instruments form a bike with the computer will they work on my bike. i Am rely only looking for the Fuel Gage not bothered about the rest.

Thanks Guys.

Bike
    2014 F800GS
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I'd guess the least you would need to do would be to get a BMW stealer to set it up via the bikes main computer.

Me, I'd ask a BMW stealer if it was possible first before even thinking about buying a different version and trying a swap.

My 1998 Honda Transalp doesn't have a fuel gauge, just a reserve tap and I just watch my trip (re-set after each re-fuel) and then know how much range I've got left from my 3.5ltr reserve once I've changed over the fuel tap to reserve
    Get yourself a good idea of the bikes fuel range before the reserve light and just use your trip distance as your refuel guide.

Just my tuppence,

SteveT

ZEN DOG
    He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
    It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride

Post Thanks / Like

My older CCM_Rotax bike has no mod cons and so I have to rely on the trip indicator to decide when to fill up - since this approach does not instil much confidence on longer journeys as the max range is only 150 miles, I actually carry a 4L fuel can on the bike. I use the same basic approach on the F650GS but I can leave a much greater margin for error (at least 50 miles) because it will do 200 miles normally before the fuel warning light comes on when 4L are left.
    2006 F650GS in Black
    9,300 Miles

4. Remove Advertisements
    F650.co.uk
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all. I have a F650GS (with the 800cc motor). Purchased in 2012. The issue I have is, when I turn off the engine and remove the key, there is a noise in the instrument cluster followed by the tacho, speedometer and the multifunctional display come on for 2 seconds and then disappearing again. This is repeated about 3 or 4 times per minute. The only way to stop it is the disconnect the battery. Can anyone help with a diagnosis and a cure?

Bike
    2002 F650GS Dakar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_Greg View Post
    Hi all. I have a F650GS (with the 800cc motor). Purchased in 2012. The issue I have is, when I turn off the engine and remove the key, there is a noise in the instrument cluster followed by the tacho, speedometer and the multifunctional display come on for 2 seconds and then disappearing again. This is repeated about 3 or 4 times per minute. The only way to stop it is the disconnect the battery. Can anyone help with a diagnosis and a cure?
    It may well be a failing capacitor in the dash which is a known problem with the dash assemblies on the F800/R1200R models, a relatively low cost repair