BMW F650 Forums banner

London Ultra Low Emission Zone

11K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  tacho free spirit 
#1 ·
Im looking to get back into biking after a 10 year break and always liked the F650GS.

I live within the London Ultra Low Emissions zone which means I need a bike that's Euro 3 emissions compliant or better. I know the later F650 singles are compliant but earlier ones aren't.

Does anyone know when new F650s started to be compliant ?

Also aware that some older BMW bikes meet the Nox standard and that BMW will provide certification for a fee. Is this the case with the F650 ?

#4 ·
Many thanks.

I did know about the TFL checker and have been using it to check bikes I've seen advertised online for compliance. The results are very inconsistent and I've read elsewhere that the data that underpins the TFL site is unreliable.

What I know for sure is that any motorcycle either manufactured after January 2006 or first registered after July 2007 had to be Euro 3 Compliant to be used on UK roads. Most manufacturers made sure that their new bikes were compliant well in advance of these deadlines. I would like to believe that as you suggest all variants of the F650 with Fuel Injection with Catalytic Converters (ie 2000 on) are compliant. However I'm aware that BMW changed the head design for 2004 to use twin spark - I suspect, but can't find out for sure, that this was done to comply with the impending Euro 3 emissions.

To make things even more complicated - TFL will grant ULEZ exemption to older bikes that manufacturers didn't certify as Euro 3 compliant if it can be shown that they meet the required Carbon Monoxide and Nitrous Oxide emissions requirements, either via a test or by a letter of compliance from the Manufacturer. I know that some of the BMW Boxer Twins fall into this category and BMW will provide a compliance letter for a fee - but I'm not sure about the 650 - the fact that you've found a pre injection bike that the TFL database believes is compliant gives some hope that this might be the case.

All very confusing !

#5 ·
My understanding is that the TFL Checker uses the same data from DVLA that is used to determine whether a bike is required to pay the daily ULEZ charge. If the Checker shows the bike is compliant then there should be no problems in riding it in the ULEZ free of charge. It would be interesting to check with someone with a pre-2004 F650GS whether the Checker shows it is compliant - this may well be the case because it's only the EURO 3 NOX level that matters.

#6 ·
Just done a few random checks using the TfL Checker for bikes I see advertised on Ebay (personally I'd not post pics of my number full plate, but many people seems happy to.)

2004 f650gs on an 05 plate - non compliant
2000 fg650gs on an X plate - non compliant
2004 f650cs on an 04 plate - non compliant
2004 (according to tfl) f650gs on an 07 plate - compliant
2005 f650gs dakar on an 06 plate - complaint
2005 f650gs dakar on 55 plate - non compliant
2004 f650gs on 05 plate - non compliant

Does seem that the TFL database (which I also read is sourced from DVLA) is categorising bikes purely on year of reg and I see 2004 and later twin spark bikes being shown as non complaint.

BMW will provide a Certificate of Compliance for individual bikes stating the NOx level which can be used to get an exemption - but I'd like to know what the NOx level is for single and twin spark bikes before I start looking at bikes - and I can't fine that anywhere !

#7 ·
It may simply be that the pre-2006 (non-EURO 3 compliant) F650GS's are only shown to be compliant by the Checker/DVLA if someone has submitted certified NOX results or a BMW Certificate of Compliance for that year. It's perfectly possible that F650's from certain earlier years are compliant in the database but this would need to be checked for each bike being considered. The 1997 Funduro I checked must have been made compliant in this way.

In terms of emissions levels for earlier bikes, I think you would only find this information in the sales brochure for each year which might simply have indicated EURO2 or EURO3 compliance. The safest route for you would be to consider a twin spark 2006/7 F650GS although you might find an earlier one compliant in the Checker. I think the option of paying £120 for a CoC from BMW or £175 for a NOX test are probably only realistic for someone who already owns an F650GS which he wants to use within the ULEZ.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks once again.

Yes - your summary is pretty much where my head is with this too. As you say, it looks as if the TFL checker uses Registration Date > July 2007 as it's compliance criteria with exceptions for where people have provided specific exemption information. The Bennets link below confirms this.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesoci...ril/ultra-low-emissions-zone-comes-into-force

I've also read numerous stories like the one below where people have provided exemption information but the database doesn't get updated. I totally agree that buying a pre July 2007 bike and going through the hoops of getting an exemption sounds like unnecessary pain and a cost not justifiable in context with the value of the bike.

https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/tfl-in-chaos-over-ulez-motorcycle-exemptions/

Shame though as this rather thwarts my plan which was to get a mid 2000s F650 GS both to scratch the itch for the bike I always wanted - whilst also giving me the opportunity to dip my toe back into motorcycling as modest cost before potentially buying something newer if I enjoyed it. There isn't a great deal of price difference between a 2017/2018 F650 Single and an early F650 800 Twin - the later arguably a more capable bike but not necessarily the bike I want !

Out of interest I've found some BMW Marketing Material that confirms that the 2004 Twin Spark and Engine Management changes were to ensure Euro 2 compliance - but still can't find any reference to Euro 3 - although I don't think there were any material changes to the F650GS from 2004 so I'm pretty sure that all >2004 bikes would be fine and based upon what you've seen probably earlier bikes too.

Anyway - it is what it is and I think I have the facts now - thanks again for your help.

#9 ·
Beyond what the UK Govt web site indicates the 00 to 06 single & dual spark 650GS models were EU 2 spec, in mid 2006 BMW introduced firmware for EU3 compliance of the 2006+ models & also claimed a different Exhaust/02 sensor to go with the firmware. We cant identify the exhaust/O2 changes but the firmware is easily identified with diagnostics, Dealers are prompted to specify which version to use when programming a BMSCII

650GS EU2 Firmware versions - A200ED606, A200ED616, A210ED606
650GS EU3 Firmware versions - A200ED60B, A200ED61B, A210ED60B

There are also EU3 versions for the G650X with "B" designations in the Firmware No reported by diagnostics devices

#10 · (Edited)
Ultra low emission zone ( ulea )

Do not Pay for ULEZ but request a Vehicle Information from BMW on this email: eccoc@bmw.co.uk - It will be a free service from BMW! You Do Not Need To Pay.
I am in greater London and had my bike 6 years in garage before I knew about ULEZ, was travelling to Hatton Garden ( Gold Market), then I received my PCN for ULEZ.
The NOx limit is 0.15g/km but my 2001 F650-gs with its 14000 milage has Euro1 emission standard , however the value of the NOx emission for this 2001 is 0.073g/km.

It means even a Euro1 emission Standard F650GS is fit to go with in the ULEZ and there is no need to pay.(in my case)

Then do not pay for the ULEZ and respond to them before 28 days and ask for VI(Vehicle Information) form the BMW Group - Tel:01252920000

PS: We are fighting for Internet Connection in Iran these days, Please bare in mind that Islamic Regime of Iran is a dictator and cut off the entire Internet in Iran(Nearly %95) and ask the Government to cut any relation with the Dictators!( However, unfortunately the Money Talks louder than ....!)

PSS: Here is a Copy and Paste form TFL PCN Details
[h=3]PCN status history[/h]

28 XXXXXX 2019
Email dispatched to: XXXXXX
Subj Representation receipted
N/A

28 XXXXXX 2019
On HoldThe PCN has been placed on hold. While it's on hold it will not progress.

10 XXXXXX 2019
PCN BatchedN/A

#11 ·
Has anyone had any success getting a COC from BMW?
£80 PCN through the door today, have emailed via the address in the previous post and got an immediate response saying due to high demand there could be a delay.
Only got 14 days to do something!

cheers

#17 ·
I also just got a free certificate from BMW for my 2004 F650GS and with the NOx values, it should be compliant. Ive sent off the evidence to TFL and just awaiting to here back.

I sent an email to eccoc@bmw.co.uk with a copy of my V5 asking for proof of NOx values and they sent back a pdf with details on. Have forwarded this too TFL

#22 ·
Hi Anton,
Yes, just got the acceptance letter from TFL last week, so fine dropped and vehicle added to exemption register.

Quite a painless process really, you just need to email BMW on
eccoc@bmw.co.uk

Reply was surprising prompt and no charge.
Happy days.

#23 ·
Hi Anton,
Yes, just got the acceptance letter from TFL last week, so fine dropped and vehicle added to exemption register.

Quite a painless process really, you just need to email BMW on
eccoc@bmw.co.uk

Reply was surprising prompt and no charge.
Happy days.
thank you for response
i think you should put it in new thread ! as there are many of us affected by ULEZ !
my bike is older 2001 model
I hope i can obtain a certificate from eccoc very soon despite waiting for a week so far !
otherwise i was thinking buying a exhaust can from a newer model on ebay - i know mine has got NOT any catalyst
install it and go for a test !
which is a great deal of effort ! , time waste and ---hate and rage !

#25 ·
Hi Mat
Have you bought a bike yet or you are wandering around ?
i am a owner of 2001 model - single spark and intend to get it ULEZ exempt !
I am still waiting on replay from eccoc but one i have it
i wanted to say - maybe you can buy the bike you wanted in first place !
i will make a post once i go threw the process !

#27 ·
the whole of the ULEZ makes little sense. I bought a 2006 f650gs and before I bought it checked via the TFL site and it was OK - however a 2005 I was looking at wasn't - although they are identical.... also I own a 2003 Ducati 749 café racer. actually it's my old race bike I raced in BMCRC's thunderbike sport class which I put some lights on, MOt'd and registered for the road. it has race filters, a termi system, etc and is still lockwired and geared down and does about 30mpg. on the overrun it blows flames out the exhaust....but I got a COC document from Ducati - for free - saying what it did when it was new - and TFL were very happy and it's now ULEZ exempt!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.