Tyre options

Thread: Tyre options

Bike
    BMW 650GS 2004 twin spark
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tyre options

Hi guys, The old Metzeler Tourances are now reaching the end of their useful life, and while ok, I wander what else any of you have tried in the 70/30, or 80/20 range. I was looking at the Avon Trailrider and they seem to come out well in reviews, now Michelin have introduced the new Anakee Adventure in the range but not available until next month in the sizes we need. Any ideas welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

I've just fitted the new style tread Michelin Anakee to my 2012 Sertao after having Tourances and have to say I prefer the Anakees. Paid £99.99 for the pair from M&P in Swansea. I ride 80/20 road /trail.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Should have said Michelin Anakee 3

Chris

4. Remove Advertisements
    F650.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bike
    F650 funduro 2000my
    Post Thanks / Like

Im using the avon trailriders on my F650. Cant fault them, by far the best tyre I have used on this bike. Brilliant in the dry, brilliant in the wet, wear pretty well, decent price and British (if thats important to you). Cant see why I would change to anything else they are that good.

Bike
    BMW 650GS 2004 twin spark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by solidstate100 View Post
    Im using the avon trailriders on my F650. Cant fault them, by far the best tyre I have used on this bike. Brilliant in the dry, brilliant in the wet, wear pretty well, decent price and British (if thats important to you). Cant see why I would change to anything else they are that good.
    Have you tried them off the tarmac ?

Bike
    F650 funduro 2000my
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope, but I would expect them to be about the same as the tourance or any other similar so called "dual sport" tyre - pretty average up to a point and then useless when the going gets a little bit tougher/wetter. Im old school, if im going to be going off road I fit a decent off road tyre or at least 80/20 biased off road (TKC 80 for example).

8. Thankstacho free spirit thanked for this post
    Bike
    Tricked out Dakar
    Post Thanks / Like

Many Long-haulers use Heidenau K60 Scouts. The REALITY of long distance travel is that you will mostly be on tarmac, bad tarmac, compacted earth or gravelly bits. Few people can risk injury by taking on seriously technical trails a long way from home/medical help especially if alone- those who do usually have bespoke bikes and chose holidays to do just those types of trails and many will have previously arranged to have replacement tyres available at different places (or are carrying a set).
    If you're carrying luggage/tents etc, you want mileage and strength and the K60 Scouts are excellent.
    I have yet to see a tyre which lasts as long but don't expect miracles in mud- few tyres are good for that and most will fill up especially if its clay... and dump you anyway -don't ask...
    If you can get regular supplies then the TKC 80 is good but, for me, wears out too fast. I travel to visit not to spend time changing tyres!
    Last edited by Mauric; 01-08-2019 at 04:27 PM.

10. Thankstacho free spirit thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any recommendations for a slightly more off-road bias, without going full knobbly?
    Thanks
    (F650GS single spark)

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to say, currently on Metz Tourances.