BMW F650 Forums banner

chain and sprocket advice

5K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  gracyjones60 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 F650gs and its done just over 9k miles and i am about to replace its tyres. I was also thinking about changing the chain and sprocket set at the same time - there is no damage or chipped teeth, just normal wear and tear. It is currently running the factory spec number of teeth. Any advice on where to buy the sets, what makes, what different amount of teeth would do to the performance etc would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Also thinking about replacing the chain and sprocket set at the same time - no damage or sticky teeth, just normal wear and tear. It currently runs a number of dental factories. Any advice on buying a set, what is made, what will be the performance of different amounts of teeth, etc. will be appreciated. " I want to let you know that I know a lot about the secret obsession. If you are interested, you can visit my site"

#6 ·
Seems bit quick to wear chain out, as teeth OK, did you lube it ? Tension tight? Alignment correct?
I brushed mine with autogear box lube, v thick, heavy, didn't fling off, once a week, I got about 12k miles so far, plus what ever PO achieved

#7 ·
Old thread I know, but I replaced the OEM chain with another OEM (CZ brand) at around 20,000 miles. (The OEM is endless so you have to remove the swingarm to fit it).

On my other bike which I do most mileage on now, I replaced the OEM chain (another CZ) with a top of the range DID at just over 18,000 miles.

I've got scottoilers on both bikes and wipe the chain with a paraffin rag about once a week when it's being used, to clean it.

I replace both sprockets at the same time as I do the chains.

Buzz.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.