Lithium battery

Thread: Lithium battery

Bike
    06 Dakar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lithium battery

Hi all, the Dakar failed her MOT the other day, fork seals leaking. Fortunately Allan Jefferies BMW were able to fit me in quickly and in she goes on Wednesday for some new ones. Typically, I went to fire her up this AM and the battery's flat. The Ctek trickle charger gives it a boost, enough to fire her up, but if I switch her off there's not enough power to re-start. Great.
    So, I've just ordered a Li one from Motorworks, £107 inc VAT and next day delivery. Anybody got one? I'm guessing they must be good, everything else I've had from Motorworks over the years has been excellent. The dimensions are the same as the one that's on, do they need to be kept on a trickle charger? They weigh one fifth of the weight of a lead-acid one, so that's a step in the right direction.

Bike
    06 Dakar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just been reading some of the other stuff on here re. Li batteries, DPD are bringing it tomorrow, ww'll see how it goes.

Bike
    05 Dakar
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had an Li battery on my Dakar for a few years without issue. The one I have has a built in balance charger so each cell gets charged correctly. Also bear in mind you’ll need a charger that can cope with Li if topping it up. In the really cold it helps to leave the ignition on for a few seconds to warm the battery up before trying to start.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F650.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bike
    Funduro 1995
    Post Thanks / Like

Read the instruction very carefully.
    Even some of the latest batteries with internal charge control circuitry which claim that they can be charged with almost any charger, except the auto type in almost universal use today, still need a special expensive charger to recover a flattened battery.
    So no jump/bump starts, and they tend to explode if you get wrong, not burn out the R/R!

Bike
    06 Dakar
    Post Thanks / Like

Other news, I took 16 kilos of assorted stuff off the bike a few weeks ago, with the weight saving of the new battery it'll be nearly 20 kilos lighter IMG_0398.jpg

Bike
    Funduro 1995
    Post Thanks / Like

With the chain guard off you probably want to remove the passenger pegs too.Might not be legal either.
    And with the front mud guard off pray you never have to ride in the rain or mud, shouldn't be a problem with a Dakari n Yorkshire?

Bike
    06 Dakar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I've fitted the Rugged Roads' chainguard and rear ABS sensor guard from Motorworks to replace the OEM onepiece, and the front mudguard has a fender-extender which should keep some of the water and crap off the front. To be honest, I've reached the stage where I take more stuff off than I put on to motorcycles nowadays. Less weight, less to clean around and less to go wrong. Probably due to the years of Harleys and GS12's that weighed a ton and took forever to clean

9. Thanksjahfish thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How did you get on with your Lithium battery....I want to replace my Lead acid one. Any issues? I read a lot of 'Oh they're a nightmare' threads. Whats your experience?