torx bits

or just do a service befor i leave ?
    what do you lot do

thanks
    getting anxious a bit now its me first
    Valkon
    Valkon-> phase two.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course do a service before you go! How far are you going and where to? Will there be any dealers on route should you need help?
    As to what to take - take what you will use. Theres no point taking loads of tools if you're not prepared to use them. Think about what jobs you are willing to tackle and are likely to occur and equip yourself accordingly.
    If its a long haul then inner tubes are definately handy to have but only if you are capable of removing the tyre yourself. You will also need tyre irons and some means of inflating the tyre again. Then again if your not going too far from civilisation it may be better to leave all that stuff at home and pay someone else to fix it.
    I would take the original BMW tool kit supplied with the bike, and throw it in the bin. Replace it with quality tools than can stand up to the rigours of actually being used. And add a few more that come in handy too.
    Tyres are knackered ... Knackers are tired.

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Billyboy Guest

If your crossing the channel remember to take a spare bulb kit. It's a legal requirement in many countries. As for tools, I agree about not taking too many. As for punctures, get one of those little repair sets that come complete with gas canister. With any major puncture you'd want to be getting professional help anyway.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F650.co.uk
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

any ideas of specific tools? I'm doing a tour also next month.

Post Thanks / Like

Its hard to be specific as to what tools to take because I haven't had to do a lot of work on my bike so I'm not too familiar with the sizes. I suggest some Torx bits and an adapter for a ratchet; a ratchet; a few sockets (don't bother with a complete set as you won't need half of them); an extension bar or two; some combination spanners in common sizes; some screwdriver bits; a screwdriver or two; tools for removing wheels and tyres; spark plug socket; hammer; torque wrench (if you want to be sure everything is done to the correct torque); feeler gauges; this list could go on and on...
    As I said before its all down to what you are prepared to do to the bike. Find out what tools you don't need. For instance I don't know of anything that is 12mm on the bike (I could be wrong) so thats one less spanner and socket to take. And so on.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chaps,
    Over the years I have discoverd that you dont need as much as you think.after all if something serious goes wrong all you need is a phone and your AA or RAC card
    So what would we expect.first you will need to be able to remove front and rear wheel in the event of a puncture,The spanner for this comes in the BMW tool kit which works well,if the nut is tight use the opp end of the spark plug socket ,it fits on the end of the spanner,which gives you more leverage.If the spindle is tight use the bar in the tool kit to knock it out.you will almost always find a stone to use as a hammer.Take 2 good strong tyre levers, and a tube + a good repair kit.
    since I sold my last British bike ,I have never had to replace a spark plug in 1000s of miles.I also carry a split link for the chain ,just in case.
    remember you wont be doing a full engine rebuild at the side of the road,and if the worst happens it will be a case of calling for help.

Post Thanks / Like

remember you wont be doing a full engine rebuild at the side of the road,
    I used to ride a Lambretta and actually....

Post Thanks / Like

There is aBig Difference between a Lambretta and a BMW.
    I remember seeing all the Scooter boys on there way to The east coast each bank holiday.
    never saw them at the east coast,I think they all used to break down after sutton bank :eyes:

gasgas Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Brassmonkey001
    I would take the original BMW tool kit supplied with the bike, and throw it in the bin. Replace it with quality tools than can stand up to the rigours of actually being used.
    Ha, that cheers me up. My stolen recovered one didnt come with any tools. So, the scumbag thieves now have two Brownie points to their credit - 1) they liked the F650 so much they wrenched open the petrol tank cap to put more petrol in it so they could ride it some more, and
    2) they binned the tool kit.

Post Thanks / Like

There is aBig Difference between a Lambretta and a BMW.
    I know. Thats why I can't say which tools to definately take. I haven't had to use many
    I remember seeing all the Scooter boys on there way to The east coast each bank holiday. never saw them at the east coast, I think they all used to break down after sutton bank
    Oh we got there in the end, late and filthy from roadside repairs and with a raging thirst :cheers:
    I don't know which weighed more - the tools I took, or the spares.