Rectifier-regulator (again) - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rectifier-regulator (again)

Bike
    F650 1994
    Post Thanks / Like

This looks like the same R/R kit on Amazon
    http://amzn.eu/7g3Vvyj

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SHINDENGEN-FH020AA-REGULATOR-RECTIFIER-REPLACES/dp/B01BLTUZ94/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1517849593&sr= 1-1&keywords=SHINDENGEN+MOSFET+FH020AA+REGULATOR%2FR ECTIFIER

Or this one looks the same spec (but even cheaper)

https://www.banggood.com/Regulator-R...r_warehouse=CN
    Last edited by mikeau; 05-02-2018 at 05:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kuyajonathan View Post
    H Steve,
    what model F650 do you have ?
    if it's pre 2000 (funduro/strata ) VR 's were suspect, over heated, failed , could this be yours, insulation hardening etc? Check battery voltage , static and running should max out about 14.4V! If more its goosed.
    If post 2000- single/twin spark then unusual, as VR and generator up rated , 280 watt to 400 watts

Look at Wayne’s Crossroadz site - https://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/VRegulator.html
    it's very informative
    Been there and had a look. That is how I found out about the Shindengen alternatives.

It is a 1998 Funduro. Battery voltage is 14.5 at the terminals, so don't think 0.1 of a volt is going to be an issue. The Chain Gang website give this as an OK figure.

Obviously I don't know if the insulation was hardened before the VR was changed by a previous owner but the connector was warm to the touch when I was running the bike and checking a starting issue and thus rang alarm bells. Poking about saw the insulation break off close to the connector block. I'll look to re-site the VR externally when I fix the wiring.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the photos, the rear is "potted" I understand that the better ones have a metal back and so better heat conduction capability.

Not going to jump in yet. Going to get the wiring sorted and mount it in a cooler location first.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHINDENGEN....c100005.m1851

Last edited by stevedixey; 05-02-2018 at 05:22 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    F650.co.uk
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Decided to move the VR to a cooler spot so am in the process of cropping wires and crimping on new terminals and using the VR from my old bike which was good.

The pic shows my connector block from the alternator side of the harness of the bike I am working on. You can hopefully see the heat has actually affected the colour of the copper as well discolouring and hardening the insulation.

The after-market VR that was fitted (not by me) seems to have smaller wires. Not by much but it is noticeable to a practised eye.

Wires.jpg

Did some research and dug out some old AC theory books gathering dust. The calcs show the VR should be receiving about 15 Amp from the 3-phase AC output. In this case, the wires fitted to the after-market VR seem borderline. Then, add in oxidised connector pins. The cable should be a minimum of 1.5 mm squared but that is ideal case up to 30 degrees C and given the closed in area under the seat....

The harness wires are not much better. Found those had hardened a bit as well and looking to cut them back further into the harness.
    Last edited by stevedixey; 26-02-2018 at 09:38 AM.

6. Likes mikeau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whilst dealing with a starting problem and the above overheated wiring, I decided to re-site the VR. The attached shows my take on the job. Couldn't see the point of hacking the snorkel and burying it another dark corner.IMG_20180519_132716.jpgIMG_20180519_132609.jpgIMG_20180519_132700.jpg

The only cut was in the plastic under-tray that hides the expansion tank. I made two cuts, folded up the plastic tab that resulted and used that to tie-wrap the wires in place. Extended the wiring loom wires with kit bought from a local car parts outlet.

I don't know yet if I have solved the original starting problem, but it runs, the VR is giving the right numbers and one more job off the "A round tuit" job list.
    Last edited by stevedixey; 19-05-2018 at 02:00 PM.

8. Thanks Patrick, mikeau thanked for this post
    Likes Patrick, mikeau liked this post
    Bike
    F650 1994
    Post Thanks / Like

That looks like a good place, but maybe prone to water/stone damage? Let us know how you get on?

Cheers

Bike
    F650 Funduro 1999
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevedixey View Post
    Whilst dealing with a starting problem and the above overheated wiring, I decided to re-site the VR. The attached shows my take on the job. Couldn't see the point of hacking the snorkel and burying it another dark corner.IMG_20180519_132716.jpgIMG_20180519_132609.jpgIMG_20180519_132700.jpg

The only cut was in the plastic under-tray that hides the expansion tank. I made two cuts, folded up the plastic tab that resulted and used that to tie-wrap the wires in place. Extended the wiring loom wires with kit bought from a local car parts outlet.

I don't know yet if I have solved the original starting problem, but it runs, the VR is giving the right numbers and one more job off the "A round tuit" job list.
    Yes as mike said this looks like a good place and would love to hear how it is working out for you too.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the later injected 650 singles have the VR mounted at the front of the engine so it is as vulnerable there as where I've got it as regards water. The chances of a stone flying and hitting are virtually zero (until it happens ).

If the "potting" is done right, water ingress should not be a problem but as you see the wire entry point is out of the direct firing line of spray from the tyre. A good glooping of silicon grease would give some extra protection. I suspect chain lube gloop might be a bigger problem.

When stationary, a temperature probe placed on the fins showed 60 degrees C, so any water isn't going to last long.

I have enough slack in the extended loom to loop the wires down a bit to stop water running down the wires to the VR although may be only when stood still in a downpour.

As the idea is to expose as much as possible to the air-stream, I didn't see much point in "boxing" it in.

We will see..... Next job, running a bit rough just off the idle and up to around 2000 rpm..

What it does mean is that if it does go (this is from a '95 model I have for spares) I can easily fit a new one, probably one of the new MOSFET types on E-bay that I highlighted earlier.

12. Thanks mikeau, Patrick thanked for this post
    Likes mikeau liked this post