Exhaust Removal Nightmare

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Removal Nightmare

Bike
    Ex-BMW F650GS Dakar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Exhaust Removal Nightmare

hi all

i am in the process of changing my exhaust gaskets at the moment.

having removed radiator/petrol tank etc to make them easy to get at. however, the nuts that hold the exhausts on are made of the softest metal imaginable! of the four, one has moved bringing the stud with it, one is almost impossible to get on and two have completely rounded off

i think im gonna end up cutting them off with a dremel - not an idea that fills me with joy - has anyone else had this problem, or have any hints/tips to make it easier? its quite possible there is an easy way i have a habit of spotting the difficult way first

i've checked the chain gang faq's but there's not much on there.

i thought this may be a royal PITA. and i think i might have been right!

cheers in advance
    jim
    Why is there only one monopolies commission?

Post Thanks / Like

don't cut them off just yet. You might be able to make new flats on the nuts with the dremel, then hammer a socket on and open them up. I did this on my sump plug a while ago.

Mal should have the replacement part for you if things go south.

Bike
    BMW
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem when I bought my '95 Funduro. I started to tackle the job myself but when I saw the state of the nuts I admitted defeat and booked it into my local bike shop. Now, if I do say so myself I am a very competant and experienced mechanic - I've swapped out crankshafts in bikes before - but those damn studs just looked like too much trouble !
    The bike shop did the job for £100 and frankly, compared to a weekend of crawling round on the garage floor and skinned knuckles and frustration I consider it a good deal !
    I have a spare engine and I tried to sort the studs on that one myself, 3 came out OK but the 4th would not come out, I tried a stud extractor (it broke), oxy acetelene on the head (nothing) and welding a nut onto the stud (all that did was weaken the stud so it sheared immediately that I applied any torque). In the end I had to drill and tap it - a horrible job.
    In short I'm afraid there is no easy answer - it's a sh**ty job and you'll find it an absolute nightmare, I'd recommend doing what I did.
    In the long term the solution for me is that I've fitted a HUGE bash plate, made of 3mm alloy, it comes up the front of the engine and then extends forward over the exhaust pipes and ends at the bottom of the radiator guard. It stops all the crap from the front wheel ending up on the studs (which is why the problem occurs). Also the studs are DRENCHED in coppaslip and I now remove and re-grease them every 3 months....

The best of luck mate.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    F650.co.uk
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

What yer wana do is fit a set of my babies. cos yer bike is the same as any other. Search for "STUDS"

Try to remove the studs and nuts in one piece. Heat the stud between the collar and head. Don’t play a flame on the alloy head. Let the heat travel/conduct into the head. Spray penetrating oil on the head/stud thread. Dremmel a hex on the nut. If there are any threads left on the stud, lock a second nut on to it.
    Heat up and let cool half a dozen times IE. Several cycles. This will help break down the grip the head has on the stud. If you're not patient enough I have spare heads.
    You can tap the stud lightly on the end as well.

The nuts I send are reusable many times over.

Post Thanks / Like

Funduro Jim,
    been there, tried everything, heat, penetrating oil, WD40, coca cola you name it i did it.
    In the end the dremel worked miracles, took the nuts off no problem then a deep cut into the studs and hey presto out they came no bother. I would suggest a nice soaking in penetrating oil fist before attempting this to assist in the stud removal.
    I take it you bought the gaskets for a Aprilla and not the BMW ones? The aprilla gaskets slip in nicely where the BMW ones require a bit of coaxing which could mean they go out of shape.

Stevey B

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, when I look my LHS header pipe off for gasket replacement (the one between header and centre section - not the one at the head itself) Plus Gas worked o.k but the studs with bolt attached came out of the head rather than the bolts only moving (thereafter getting the bolts off wern't the easiest thing but perseverence and lashings of Plus Gas again saved the day).

One thing, Plus Gas is 100% better than ordinary penetrating oil or WD40, its got chemicals in that break down rust - unlike normal oil. It's well worth getting a can.

p.s Aprilia exhaust head gaskets may fit better - but they are a bugger to get, as are all Aprilia parts - you may get lucky and your local (?) friendly (?) Aprilia dealer may have them in stock. If not be prepared to wait......

Bike
    Ex-BMW F650GS Dakar
    Post Thanks / Like

hi all

many thanks for all the advice...

the dremel has worked wonders. what appears to be a good way to do it is to grind a slot in the side of the nut (parallel to the stud) and then use a parallel punch to knock the nut round. it is possible to do this without mangling the stud.

unfortunately one i had already cut one of the studs in front of the flange as the nut was unbelievably mangled. i've turned a thread on whats left, hoping to lock two nuts on to remove it (a job for tomorrow)

i have already ordered gaskets/nuts/studs etc from motorworks so the BMW gaskets will get persuaded to fit

i'll let you know how it goes, but i feel a lot more positive now the nuts/exhausts are removed and i can see the gaskets

cheers all
    jim

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jim
    >>>/nuts/studs etc from motorworks <<< Didn't you like the idea of stainless and copper nuts, The OE ones rot in no time.

Bike
    Ex-BMW F650GS Dakar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mal

love the idea of stainless studs/copper nuts!!

i had already ordered new nuts and studs when i ordered the gaskets, as i was anticipating them to be a PITA; this was before i knew about the stainless ones.

Yes Please!!

Cheers
    Jim
    ps ive PM'd you

Post Thanks / Like

Jim’s PM included >> dont fancy the OE ones now ive seen how rubbish they are <<< This was my opinion too. I got some in but decided to make my own.
    To get the copper nuts ( when I tracked them down) I had to buy in bulk. So I decided to offer sets to other folk. Being retired has it’s advantages.
    Most folk working haven’t got the time to source all the bits involved. Let alone cut and finish the studs. I smooth the ends off with a drum sander.
    Everyone who’s had them has been pleased. AFAIK
    How about some feedback on here from my from by stud fans who’ve already got them fitted. A couple of pictures of them in situ

What do you folk think of the idea that I get some Aprilia gaskets to go with them. If they are difficult to get then a bulk buy sounds like the way to go. What do you all think?

From what's been said they are better than the Rotax ones.