BMW F650 Forums banner

Trip to Pyrenees September 2016

10K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Kyle 
#1 ·
Hi All I am planning an Adventure trip to the Pyrenees (France, Andorra, Spain) in September 2016. The trip planned is Brittany Ferries, Portsmouth - Cherbourg. Stop off at my mates stone barn in Portbail overnight. Then early start down to Andorra stopping off in camping sites along the way. Once in Andorra a trip through the Smugglers Pass into Spain. A couple of days exploring the mountains (wild camping here) then back to Bezier (another mate who has a place but will probably camp near the sea) then a slow route back along the coast past La Rochelle and back to Cherbourg.
I have ridden solo and taken 6 others through the Normandy Beaches routes so have a bit of experience. This is not any way of commercial interest...I just love riding! If interested in tagging along then email me. I am happy to be part of 4 to 6 riders with bikes capable of gravel off road/country lane riding (03 BMW F650GS) of cause is my chosen ride and perfect. Youtube vids show bikers making the Smugglers Pass and well worth the watch to wet those lips!
Trip will last around 8 to 10 days. Requirements are your own tent, cooking facilities etc. I am a young (in the head) fit 60 year old ex fireman, Reading based Design Engineer bodger/builder with practical skills.
What can you bring to the team!

Ricomachinas

See less See more
#2 ·
Did the smugglers trail(pass) in to Andorra last September great trail not difficult I did it on a drz400 though did Plymouth to Santander then motorway to Jaca then the next day off road trail on a our way to sort .then picket up the smugglers trail to Andorra .

#3 ·
Thanks for the feedback! Long old journey across the sea which although maybe relaxing its all about the ride hence the overland route for me! I have now discovered this route on Youtube (below) which looks even more amazing so am going to revise my plans I think. Anyway anyone else interested do not be shy in coming forward with any questions etc... and I will try to answer them. I have yet to plan the campsite stop overs and expect full details will not be available for a month or two. I also want to remain flexible should the weather turn. Looking forward to seeing Vultures, Bears and Wild Pigs!!! you never know.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si28QhxDmRQ

#4 ·
Hi, I am interested in accompanying you down to Spain depending on the dates you intend travelling. I may not be with you all the way as I would probably travel through the Channel Tunnel but could link up with you at Cherbourg. When you turn round for your homeward journey I will leave you and continue on through Spain down to Torremolinos. This will be my first continental trip. I retired last year and I am catching up on lost time.
What can I bring to the party? Great company. Crap jokes. 50 odd years of bodging experience. A 1999 F650 ST (suitably bodged). All required camping equipment. Having spent some time working in unsavoury areas I am already used to encountering vultures, bears and pigs.

#5 ·
Hi Mike. Great stuff if you can make it, I intend to leave between 27th August and 10th September, but even on those dates I am flexible as I am self employed and can do what I like! (subject to my wifes permission) She is has booked cruise with the mother -outlaw from the 3rd so really any times around those dates are OK. I have a biker buddy just on the outskirts of Cherbourg who owns a B & B/Gite and its a great stop off before the trip down to Andorra/Spain borders. I assume you are in Southend, hence the Chunnel crossing which is very convenient. Happy to meet up. I think now I will spend probably closer to 10 days on the trip. If these dates are Ok with you or you have others closer then email me back. Great to have you on board! Richard

#7 ·
Hi. not sure how well this fits withyou but I intend to leave UK on or about 12th September. If this does not work for you, is anyone else interested in this later date. I will ride down to Torremolinos, stay for a couple of weeks at an apartment that I have there, then return home probably over the same route.

#9 ·
Hi Antonio1
Your route looks exactly what we are taking with the exceptions of Barcelona. I am going to spend about 3 days touring the Pyrenees and will call in to a friend in Bezier then accross the viaduct turning west to hug the coastline back to Cherbourg (another friend who is a biker) then home. approx 10 to 14 days depending on how i get on. Now got 4 of us going down to Andorra then 2 turn to go to Bilbao and one carrying on down to Torremolinos. Good luck with your trip!
Ricomachinas

#10 ·
Trip to the Pyrenees **UPDATE**
Hi all following this story of the trip to the Pyrenees. Latest is now 3 of us going on or around the 11th September! Through the tunnel and wind down to Xixerella (how to pronounce...no idea!) This is the start of the Smugglers Route into Spain. Been buying all sorts of stuff to make the journey easier. New folding seat (similar to the Helinox chair from ebay) Brilliant chair. New to me but 2nd user 2 person Coleman Coastline Plus. Rock pegs for the tent as ones supplied are only good for soft ground. Gas stove windshield. Tent brush (yep its amazing how much crap you take into the tent. Mozzie head net (got caught out in recent trip to New Forest and got bitten to death!) Handle bar temp gauge (it may get cold up them thar hills) Even a simple bag to hold pan scourer and dish cloth is useful. I must admit I am going to test all of my cooking/sleeping/travelling stuff a couple of more times as want only to take essentials for the trip. There are lots of people on Youtube who list all their stuff they take on a trip and all have something to give! If anyone is interested I have a Gopro 3 thingy and am going to record the journey and publish it onto Youtube when I return. It seems a very doable trip so maybe others will be inspired go sometime. Ricomachinas

#12 ·
Hi Balth
I intend to be in Xixerella either Thursday 15th or the Friday 16th staying at the campsite there. It depends on how long it takes from Beziers where I am staying overnite on the Wednesday. Looking at the Saint-Girons its smack centre of the Pyrenees which I am taking on my return back to blighty! Maybe if in the area near Xixerella on or around that Friday then please feel free to join me over the smugglers route into Spain. ricomachinas

#13 ·
I would love to ride the smugglers pass but I don't think I'm ready for it, I've only done a little off road riding so far. Also I'm going down with my girlfriend who will be on her 1981 kawasaki z250c so we will be taking it nice and easy. Thanks though. Might see you down there :riding: .

#16 ·
It was amazing. I have never been to the Pyrenees in the Summer before...It was green, a bit cool up the mountain passes, great roads and tracks which were not hard to ride on. It was important to choose your "path" through the rocks and not try to follow the rider in front. We stayed in hotels and not campsites in the mountains so that we could safely leave all our equipment when out on trail rides, taking the minimal amount to get by. Food is great everywhere...so different than greasy English grub. Keeping a record of the journey from my home in Berkshire is very important as it is easy to forget all the sites seen. A Gopro Video Camera and Iphone to take pics is a must.
Fuel is cheap in Andorra so buy it before you leave. Wanted to go back this year but an Oz trip in December has taken priority but will be back to Andorra and around the area next year for sure and thats before a trip to climb/walk up 3 mountains in England, Wales and Scotland in 3 days during September. Ricomachinas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.