BMW F650 Forums banner

Who's "upgraded" to a 1200GS?

6K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Hoffs 
#1 · (Edited)
I paid a visit to Williams in Manchester today and tried out a few different models. size wise
I'm only 5'-6" short with a 29" inside leg.
F700GS with a low seat - feet flat on the floor.
F700GS standard seat - balls of the feet on the floor
F800GS with a standard seat - hard to get off the side stand it leans over that far and struggling to touch the floor.
R1200GS with a low seat - balls of the feet on the floor and easier than the 800 to lift off the side stand.

I've always wanted a 1200GS but the weight and height has always put me off. Now I've tried one, even if it was just sitting on it, some of the trepidation has gone away. I've heard the are easy enough when on the move. But it's coming to a stop that has always bothered me.
Food for though now though.

Any other shorties gone to a 1200GS?

#2 ·
Oh for an extra couple of inches! I often think of all the bikes I could have if I was just two inches taller. I am the same height etc as you but 68 years old and with that comes loss of strength. I am finding the F650GS a bit heavy these days, not when out riding but when man-handling and turning it around on the drive. The 1200GS is 238Kg, about 50Kg heavier than the 650..........

Bob

#3 ·
Wanted one, found one a 1200Gsa all the farkles lovely bike, salesman basically was put it politely less than interested in selling a bike that morning so I walked away and bought the British equivelant a triumph 1200 explorer also with all the farkles. Also a big bike but like the Gs don't tend to notice it unless wheeling it out of the garage to be honest. I would suggest you get on board one for a good test ride and practice stop start to get confidence up then be prepared to open that cheque book when you get back to the dealer. As you found just sitting on it its very comfy and off the stand it is a well balanced machine, just remember adding pillion and luggage adds to its bulk significantly..good luck.

#4 ·
Don't be put off by seat height. I've a 32" inside leg with the standard Dakar seat height is 34". I've got a different subframe, seat and shock etc and mine is now at 38". Unloaded, the seat is higher than my waist. I can just tip toe both feet but mostly I just slide off one side to get a foot down. Get the bike you want and make it work for you. :thumb:

#6 ·
Well things have certainly moved on since I last contributed to this thread.
I bought an R1200GS LC nearly 2 years ago, a lowered chassis/seat version, and I love it. I can get both feet flat on the floor on an even surface.

Miles away from an F600GS.

I've done over 20,000 miles on it so far. Toured Europe twice and been round the Nürbrgring.

The weight is the big concern, if it gets to a point where it wants to go over it will, no stopping it. But this is really only when moving it about or if you make a mistake at slow speeds.
At any other speed it's a joy to ride. It will do far more than I'll ever ask it to.

Attachments

#7 ·
Now joined the 60 club! Had R1100gs with ohlins ,luggage etc brilliant bike for 10yrs plus.
pulled a chest muscle tapping an 1 1/4 thread , took an hour in tight space and couldn’t move bike for about a month. ? Read some stuff bought a twin spark dakar for light weight and so comfortable , it’s seriously lighter than 1100. Have had nearly 5 years , delightful make you smile and feel good bike.
Did some dreaming, looking at mags ,net etc and never really found anything better. Had a brilliant day out from early till night without a great plan and contemplated could I improve bike even more, what would I change? More power? Quite happy, better anything ? Not really . When up the hills there’s still a teenager there. What could I improve on ? Number one on list was weight ,dakar only 190 kg they say! Had never set eyes on a G650 x in any shape but started reading? 35kg less , that’s mega , read a bit more and more, Mrs somehow got a new ring? Then xcountry appeared in my garage! Without any moans.
had shot on bike ,a wee bit sharper feels a lot smaller but wow as light as a 250 and brilliant low rev torque , brakes are brilliant , can do stoppies.
I now DO NOT BELIEVE MANUFACTURERS WEIGHT CLAIMS. Here’s why in my mind bike felt a lot more than 35 kg lighter. Got scales out , out my eyes as well . On electronic bathroom scales
X Country 165.2 kg 364lb
Dakar 221.9kg. 489lb That nearly 9 stone lighter?

X country 2k miles total std.
dakar touratech pannier racks and engine bars leather tank bags,not much more
looks like I’ve been carrying an invisible pillion. Don’t know if it’s age thing , dakar is still the one so far I’d go up north with all camping kit etc but xcountry feels so light it’s adifferent bike. I can put my feet flat on floor with it , 6.2” 33 leg. Winter salt and cold induces dreams and imaginations for next year, can’t wait to get a season out new bike, wonder what mods will happen. Time for your thoughts and stories!

#9 ·
I had the old 1100GS, kept it for less than a month because it was too heavy and I guess the 1200 is even heavier?
At 6'2" with a 34" leg I can physically ride any big bike but I've learned that weight is the key.
I can't imagine how people are happy riding a bike they can't pick up if it goes over, or a bike that's so heavy that you can't stop it going over in the first place. I see these chaps pulling up at Matlock Bath, feet all a-paddling desperately trying to avoid the bike tilting that one degree too far and going down.
This myth about big bikes being better is what keeps the manufacturers in business, middle aged blokes trying to offset fading physical prowess by buying a big macho motorcycle (and I am middle aged myself), when in fact if most of these people took a step back and thought about what they actually enjoy it would probably be a lightweight, good handling punchy bike for carving up the back roads.
If you are worried about the weight of the 1200 then it is too heavy for you, I would argue that it's too heavy full stop.

#10 ·
I have had my 1200 for 6 years now, bought a factory lowered one.
IIRC its lighter than the 1100 and 1150 but still comes in at 220Kgs. The lowered option allows me to flat foot and yes like any bike you do have to be careful about cambers etc. I looked at the weight issue, I can pick it up only own as its down to technique not brute strength, and decided to get my 650GS as a second bike. I know not everyone can do this but for me it was the ideal solution as one day I will part with the 1200GS. Both bikes make me smile but the 1200 makes me grin like a lunatic so thats pretty good in my opinion.
I just thought I would add a different perspective but in the end its your money your decision!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.