BMW F650 Forums banner

g650gs batteries

10K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  DonaldCKing 
#1 ·
I think my sertao battery is on its way out ,its on a trickle charger at the moment.I know the batteries on the g650gs are cheap and cheerful but would have thought they would have lasted longer than two years .So has any body have any recommendations on its replacement also does anyone have any views on lithium iron batteries. Any information would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I went for a Lithium battery from JMT. Cost about £85 when a dealer quoted me £49 for a normal BMW replacement.

If memory serves the original was about 4KG and the JMT was 800g so quite a saving. I've had it for 5 months and had no issues and I no longer have to check and keep topping up the battery acid.

You may need a new charger since ones like Optimate with the de-sulphate recovery will fry a lithium battery. JMT do them for about £50 and Optimate do a lithium charger as well.

#4 ·
How strange. I have just replaced my battery at 2000 miles on a bike just out of warranty - A sertao that spent its first year with 10 miles on the clock at the dealers so really only 18 months on the road. I got a new one from WEMOTO for about £40 including delivery. Lithium batteries are a lot lighter BUT a lot more expensive.

A lead battery that lasts two years - hmmmm, not exactly quality is it?

#7 ·
My 2011 gs is still on the original battery that is 4 years and 16000 miles no problems ,but it is always left with the optimate connected ,even in summer .Maybe just luck ,but the bog standard battery on my previous 1000 boxer was 6 years old when I sold it .I always leave the battery connected ,even if its going to be used the next day . Iv'e been doing this since I got the charger almost 20 years ago ,and have never had a battery that has not lasted 5 years ,i'm convinced the trick is to leave the charger permanently connected Cheers Tivvy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.