When to change tyres

Thread: When to change tyres

Bike
    BMW 650cs
    Post Thanks / Like

Default When to change tyres

My bike is a 2002 with 4,000 miles on it
    The tyres look like the original with lots of tread left
    But after a 100 mile run I inspected the tyres while they were warm ish and could see cracking in the bottom the tread on the rear tyre front looks good

But the bikes 12 years old should I change them both

And if so what brand / type of tyre would you buy

Also my rev counter dosnt work first 30 miles no reading then it worked its way up to 7k while I was doing 40mph in trafic so I wasn't reving the engine
    I've pocked and pulled the wires and all looks good

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Bike
    F650GS 2007
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally any sign of cracking on a tyre I would change it, the tyre is clearly breaking down, I have put Michelin Anakee 3 tyres on my F650 which seem to be highly recommended and so far I have been very impressed.
    Think moto-tyres do both for a total of £170 then it's just getting them fitted

Not sure about the rev counter would have to look into that more, sorry can't be more helpful.
    If it never broke down or needed things what would we learn ?, and would we actually be happy

Bike
    2006 Dakar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by agh321 View Post
    My bike is a 2002 with 4,000 miles on it
    The tyres look like the original with lots of tread left
    If the tyres are over 5 years old, it's probably best to change them, There's a code on tyres to tell you when they were made, but I can't remember how it goes. I think there is a 4 digit code where the last two numbers give the year and first two the week of manufacture. It's actually common to find cracking around the roots of the tyre treads and not necessarily a problem, I had this very noticablyon TKC 80s after less than 2000 miles which were only a few months old. I think cracking on the tyre walls is more likely an issue.

I'm currently on Avon Roadriders and find them a lot better than the dual purpose types usually found on GSs. They're also made in UK and not particularly expensive. I have no problem giving a lot of lean into corners on these, but despite what they say, they do fidget crossing white lines. My choice is usually a dual compound tyre which lasts a bit, such as Bridgestone BT-45 or the Roadriders (which I think are dual compound?). It depends a bit on the type of riding you do as to what to go for. Often it depends on the tyre sizes, my Dakar limits the tyre sets available.

4. Thanks agh321 thanked for this post
  5. Remove Advertisements
    F650.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bike
    Dakar 2007
    Post Thanks / Like

I work on the idea that if I think that the tyre ( s ) need replacing then do so as most punctures happen at the near end of their life.

Bike
    2004 GS called The Mule
    Post Thanks / Like

I would change them asap, but would wait for a reply from a Scarver rider, for a recommended tyre.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    If you can't be good, be careful, Admin's watching.

Bike
    2002 650 CS scarver
    Post Thanks / Like

Change them soon ...old tyres are hard and dodgy and yes puncture prone

Sizes = front 110/70/17 rear 160/60/17
    Choices = many
    Michelin Pilot Road IIs
    Bridgestone Battlaxes
    Avon .....
    I am running Continental Motion Pros as a cheaper option and have a 120/70/17 on the front with no clearance problems other brands may vary
    Rear is very tight for room so 160/60 Max size . .. 150 is the factory low option
    If you tackle it yourself
    Rear wheel change requires muffler removal
    then remove the black plastic cover and the axle nut retaining clip
    and then a 55mm six sided socket and a large bar for removal and a good torque wrench for refitting
    I found sitting backwards on the bike with it in gear and my foot hard on the brake was the easiest way to get the leverage needed
    Under the axle nut is a tension washer (marked with OUTSIDE) and a Cone shaped washer then the wheel slides off the axle

Refitting in reverse order lightly lube the axle threads with optimoly ta or antiseize and torque to 160 NM then continue til the next retaing ring hole lines up and install retaining ring and plastic cover

Front is easy after that its just like most motorcycles

Or take it to a shop and have them scratch their heads and say well i never seen one of those ........
    Last edited by Ransom; 21-07-2014 at 12:36 PM.

9. Thanks agh321 thanked for this post
    Bike
    00 Funduro
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm currently on Bridgestone BT45s and they are much better on the road than any of the 95-5 dual purpose types I've had before

Bike
    BMW K75c 1986, BMW F700gs 2014, ,FZR250 exup 1988. 1928 ARIEL 500. custodian of
    Post Thanks / Like

My G650gs is 12 mths old, I'm onto my third back tyre and second front. 12000 miles changed to Anakee 3, find them fine in the wet and not bad on gravel.
    Peccavi

Bike
    02 f650cs r80g/s
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there, well done on finding a scarver
    I guess if you have doubt then change them both.
    However combination of cracks and long age of bike ,then a lot would change them for safety.(including me).

If they are original ,that rear wheel may not have been off in a long time. it is harder work to remove without a sidestand on.
    Ransom gave you some advice on getting it off.

If it is any help here is a post of mine from 2yrs ago, So some options/prices may have changed.:
    (it's time for Jo to get new tyres on her CS .
    Currently she has conti road attack. I think the front size is nla in that version.
    The 4 Options I have are pilot power / z6 metzeler / conti motions/ conti road attack2,
    Joanne decided on conti road attack 2 tyres with black chilli
    £200 the pair ride in and ride out fitting and balanced.
    Once again top service from Steve in Sandbach FB TYRES. )
    Last edited by colt; 21-07-2014 at 07:13 PM.
    Happy GS"ING and Streetcarving!

13. Thanks agh321 thanked for this post
    Bike
    2002 f650cs
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I fitted Michellin Pilot Road 3 s to my CS this spring and have been very impressed with their grip even in the wet compared to the 6 and 7 year old Bridgestones they replaced. Think the rubber gets harder on older tyres and so more inclined to slide....