Clutch going? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clutch going?

Bike
    2003 F650GS Dakar
    Post Thanks / Like

What you describe ( increasing rpm but bike not accelerating ) IF it is the clutch, could only be the clutch slipping. In other words, the plates are not making proper contact or are worn. It would not be caused by the cable stretching, in fact the opposite. It could happen if your cable was adjusted too short. Make sure there is one or two mm of free play in the lever when it's released, and that's it. If you tighten ( shorten ) the cable and it gets worse then you'll confirm the clutch. It it still does it when the lever is fully released (with a little free play) then the clutch plates are worn.

Difficulty getting into neutral or change gears is the opposite of a worn clutch. That means that the clutch is not disengaging properly, and the cable could be too tight ( short ). Not enough free play in the lever ( but you don't want more than 1 or 2 mm play ).

Bear in mind these gearboxes are fairly basic, no synchromesh, and are fairly clunky. Also notorious for difficult neutral, so that part of the problem could just be a characteristic of your bike.

If the cable is not frayed or broken, and can still be adjusted to the above mentioned free play, and slides freely within its sheath, it's OK.

Bike
    f650gs 2003
    Post Thanks / Like

if no luck with the cable and an oil change , the clutch change is no big deal. you will see the wear on the plate faces as a shiney blue colour and looking thin. honestly will take you no more then a couple of hours to change the plates. would do the springs too while at it.

Bike
    F650 CS Scarver 2001
    Post Thanks / Like

Just as a point of reference, my CS clutch cable snapped at about 40K miles, having stretched a little before that. I don't know what the normal lifestyle of a clutch cable is, but I do a lot of town work on mine.
    Derek Marshall -- Leicester, UK -- '01 F650CS Scarver.
    53K miles and thumping....

4. Remove Advertisements
    F650.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bike
    '02 GS Dakar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wemoto do a very reasonable clutch cable. I replaced mine last year (or the year before) and it's still going strong, as I'd expect. It is a very simple job to change, just make sure you get the routing correct past the headstock and under the radiator expansion tank.

The first thing I would check if I suspected clutch slip would be the cable adjustment. Download a copy of the owner's manual if unsure how to check this. As has been said, 1 - 2mm is good.

Secondly, change the oil, especially if you are not sure when it was last done. Don't forget to drain the oil tank as well as the engine.

If you are really not sure if the clutch is slipping, or not, ask one of your more experienced friends. It's very easy to tell - wait for the engine to be fully warmed up, high gear, up a hill, mid revs and open the throttle. Watch the speedo and rev counter, simples.
    BMW '02 GS Dakar
    Honda 954 FireBlade - sold
    KTM 525 EXC Racing

Post Thanks / Like

BMW F6 forum has an information about clutch going with more bikes. They have a Bike that seems to lack acceleration when it pulls with exception. You can check here https://luxurylearningcenter.com and know about the Citizenship and Residency by Investment. They also provided suggestions regarding clutch issues. Join it for more.

Bike
    GS/Gd Dakar 2003
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniceKing View Post
    BMW F6 forum has an information about clutch going with more bikes. They have a Bike that seems to lack acceleration when it pulls with exception. You can check here https://luxurylearningcenter.com and know about the Citizenship and Residency by Investment. They also provided suggestions regarding clutch issues. Join it for more.
    more rubbish SPAM, auto bot or someone with basic poor English language skills, totally unconnected with original post.
    2003 GS Dakar
    BMW Panniers, top box, tank bag
    + loads TT stuff that came with it!