Clutch going?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch going?

Bike
    F650GS Dakar '03
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Clutch going?

A couple of people who know a lot more about bikes than I, have said that it seems my clutch is going.
    Bike seems to lack exceleration & when pulling up to park, bike doesn't want to go back into neutral.
    So, if this sounds to anyone more in the know here (all of you ?) to be a clutch issue -
    what do I need to do/buy to get it fixed easily - same friend also suggested ebc clutch?
    I'd write what I know on the back of a postage stamp & still have room for a letter ....

advice/opinion warmly welcomed

Ollie
    Ollie Ex Dakar

Bike
    2006 Dakar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    A couple of people who know a lot more about bikes than I, have said that it seems my clutch is going.
    Bike seems to lack exceleration & when pulling up to park, bike doesn't want to go back into neutral.
    So, if this sounds to anyone more in the know here (all of you ?) to be a clutch issue -
    what do I need to do/buy to get it fixed easily - same friend also suggested ebc clutch?
    I'd write what I know on the back of a postage stamp & still have room for a letter ....

advice/opinion warmly welcomed

Ollie
    Difficulty getting into neutral is fairly common, if not normal for these bikes. Have you noticed that this has changed recently? When accelerating, keep an eye on the clocks, do the speedo and revs move sort of similarly or do they seem out of phase? Sometimes you can hear this better. Accelerate and if the revs increase but the speed doesn't change much then it may well be the clutch. It depends on what you're comparing it to, it accelerates differently to multi cylinder bikes and may seem a bit slow compared to others. Mine doesn't have much grunt at higher revs or speeds but is okay lower down. The crucial thing is whether the revs go up with no noticeable speed increase. Before changing the clutch it's best to check whether you've the correct free play in the cable and whether the clutch actuator doo-dah is releasing at the correct point.

Hope that makes sense

Bike
    F700GS 2013
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Ross. Check the cable adjustment first.

My 700 wasn't happy about slipping into neutral after it's winter hibernation. I discovered that my adjustable levers were moved in one click which prevented me from pulling the clutch in all the way. I moved them back out one click (equivalent to shortening the cable) and now it slips into neutral no problem.

Cables can stretch over time.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

4. Remove Advertisements
    F650.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bike
    00 Funduro
    Post Thanks / Like

It's also worth doing an oil change before you go buying clutch bits. What grade have you got in it now?

Bike
    F650GS Dakar '03
    Post Thanks / Like

I honestly have no idea on the oil front, but does looks like the cable needs to be replaced, looks stretched & past its best.
    Ollie Ex Dakar

Bike
    F650 GS 2005
    Post Thanks / Like

If clutch is going it will slip, so when the engine revs go up bike goes nowhere because clutch is slipping. It could be the warmer weather, mine has 10-40 oil in which is a bit thin for the gearbox when we have warm weather. This means it can be fiddly to find neutral when stationary, but also jumps out of 1st into neutral sometimes when you are pulling off from a standing start. This all goes back to normal when the weather cools, have thought about using 20-50 oil instead but not tried it.
    KTM 690 SMC-R, CBR1000rr6, BSA Rocket

Bike
    F650GS Dakar '03
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a novice, know jack all about bikes really. Basically bike lacks umph, pulling away, revs pick up but bike doesn't go faster. Clutch cable looks worn. I don't mind spending money on her, but obviously don't want to if different oil & a new cable might make the difference.

Question then, best place to buy a decent replacement cable from?
    Ollie Ex Dakar

Bike
    F650GS, 2001, light blue, Normal height
    Post Thanks / Like

If the clutch is slipping, it will not be the cable, a worn cable goes slack, and would give clutch drag.
    do you know the history of the bike, as if someone used a car based oil, the additives could/will make the clutch slip, as they stick to the friction plates, making them no good.
    How many miles has the bike done, clutch should do at least 30,000, poss more.
    I would suggest you have a tech look for you, as if you do not know what you are doing, a clutch swap is not an easy job. I would take expert local advice.

Bike
    F650GS Dakar '03
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't been able to find anyone near me to have a look. The Dakar is currently my only source of transport & I've been limping to work. The bike came via here & the seller clearly looked after the bike. So I think it's just down to luck/age etc. But I can't afford to be without it for too long. Am considering just buying the bits & trying to get it done locally. Are any special BMW only tools required to do this?
    Ollie Ex Dakar

Bike
    F700GS 2013
    Post Thanks / Like

You should be able to replace the cable without any special tools. Assuming that it is similar to my F700GS. I had to disconnect mine when I installed new levers and it wasn't a big deal.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App