Prospective buyer here saying hi!

Thread: Prospective buyer here saying hi!

Bike
    F650CS 2001
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Prospective buyer here saying hi!

Hi All

Been thinking about a Scarver for a while now. One thing that nags me a bit is at 6'2 a mate of mine said its too small for me and i'll find it cramped? Well I'm no stranger to feeling too tall for some bikes and cant see the scarver as being a problem. But i've never really looked at one close up with a view to owning one. Any 6+ footers on here? Do you find it cramped?

The other thing that slightly bothers me is the belt price and availability? I had a F800s a while back and love belt drive but when looking at places like motobins/works etc I cant see a price or even belts for sale? Are the belts is short supply or something? Or can any BMW order me one in with no problem. Whats the BMW price for one?

What year do the twin sparks start at?

Many thanks.

Bike
    F650, '94
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm also 6'2", and I have the 'classic' f650 ((correct me if wrong, but I think virtually the same?)- having tried many other bikes this beats any of the jap 600/4s and the like for leg room- the bandit 600 was quite comfy, but only with my feet on the pillion pegs etc... There are lowering kits around, so probably worth checking a new bike hasn't been lowered though...

'94 and 19k...

3. Thanks Taipan thanked for this post
    Bike
    F650 GS 51 YELLOW
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi was looking at a scarver before I bought f650gs I too found it just too low and cramped, for my long legs. F650 is great plenty off adjustment done over 400 miles in a day no problem.

5. Thanks Taipan thanked for this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F650.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bike
    2002 650 CS scarver
    Post Thanks / Like

I am 6"1 and find the scarver a little cramped but ok have done up to a couple of hours without a stop many times
    a few tweaks . reshaped the seat moved the hump back a bit and added foam at the front
    removed rubbers from the pegs
    bars forward slightly
    looking at adjustable pegs that will go forward and down just a little as most of the problem is seat to peg height and knee bend

Only way to find out if its right for you? Get a ride on one .., they are great bikes

8. Thanks Taipan thanked for this post
    Bike
    F650CS 2001
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm only on it for about an hour each way into London and back. So it sounds like I'll be okay. Thanks for the replies.

Bike
    2004 GS called The Mule
    Post Thanks / Like

Greetings Taipan and welcome to the forum.

I think the only way to find if it fits you is to get a test ride. Good luck.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    If you can't be good, be careful, Admin's watching.

11. Likes Taipan liked this post
    Bike
    F650GS twin spark
    Post Thanks / Like

Tie-pin, welcome!

You listened to Olly too then

I'm beginning to think that if you don't do millions of miles then it's not worth suffering the slow and vibey single cylinder to get the excellent mpg this bike offers. If I were buying now id buy a versys or a wee strom.

If I could afford newer I'd buy an nc750x.

If I didn't want longer suspension I'd buy an er6f, sv650s or nc750s.

There are no BMW bikes on that list.
    Last edited by amorti; 12-05-2014 at 05:05 PM.

13. Likes Taipan liked this post
    Bike
    F650CS 2001
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mate! Juts looking at options really. Now wondering about a GS instead.

Bike
    F650GS twin spark
    Post Thanks / Like

I do rate my GS but it's got a few issues from standard such as a plank like seat (get the Dakar seat), bouncy forks (get aftermarket springs from wilbers et al), crap screen (high screen by isotta from m and p is meant to be good) and in general the lack of oomph, which I don't think there's much to do about. It'll pull about 105mph but the bit over 80 is a struggle. Handy if you don't trust yourself, though.

Did I mention crude ABS, a wooden front brake and a tendency to chew suspension bearings (swing arm ones are only semi sealed!), forks legs (cheap chrome) and seals?

I may be being overly negative because mine just did the fork seals again and needs legs, or I may be being realistic. I'm too biased to judge for you.

Bike
    2002 650 CS scarver
    Post Thanks / Like

Slow and vibey? they run smooth as at over 4000rpm - mines is at 4200rpm at 100kmh and silent and smooth at that and hits 130 plus for passing very quickly
    they are not much fun around town or in heavy traffic but for open road commuting or cruising very good
    Belts are still available but not cheap
    Twin spark is 2004+? and a few of the earlier problems were well sorted by then

Always good to look at as many options and ride as many as you can .. these bike things are sometimes not just a rational decision but a hey thats fun to ride and i can live with its faults because it makes me grin kinda thing