How do I ride my bike?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I ride my bike?

Bike
    Funduro 1998
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do I ride my bike?

Might sound like a dumb thing to say but I'm still trying to get to grips with the single cylinder Funduro. I used to have a KTM 450EXC single and knew how to ride that offroad but obviously this is a different kettle of fish.

I was having to use my 1000cc V-Twin Aprilia the other week and THAT is a bike I'm very familiar with, as in, knowing when to change gear, what the best rev-range is etc etc. Also, I can hear what the engine's doing, even with earplugs but the Beemer's engine/exhaust is quite quiet. There's more wind noise from the screen than the motor itself!

I pretty much use this bike on one A-road for commuting and most of it is 50-60mph. I've found myself going through the gears to get to a comfortable (bike-wise) 60, in fourth gear. The previous gears are changed at 25-30, 40-45 and 50-60mph. I change at these speeds as the bike tends to get quite vibey, which makes me feel uncomfortable. Are the vibes normal?

Any advice?

Cheers, Mog
    Bikes are an addiction for which there's no rehab!

Bike
    '02 GS Dakar
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't really comment on the Funduro as I have a (single spark) Dakar, but I'm surprised you find it vibey after riding a KTM! I have a 525EXC which is essentially the same engine as your 450 and it vibrates, it rattles and it generally sounds like it's about to let go, but that's just how they are...

On the Dakar I probably change up too early if anything. It's generally accepted that they're not happy <3,000 rpm even though they will 'pull' from 2,000. I'm probably in top gear (5th) from 50mph onwards, although hang onto the lower gears for longer if I'm in a hurry.

I used to think my Dakar was good off road until I had my KTM. In fairness, the Dakar is good off road (given the right tyres) compared to most bikes, it's just heavier than an enduro machine.

You certainly wouldn't want to ride to the Alps on your EXC and it wouldn't do 200 miles between fuel stops!!
    BMW '02 GS Dakar
    Honda 954 FireBlade - sold
    KTM 525 EXC Racing

Bike
    G650GS 2011
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there's any need to use such high revs in the gears. I don't know exactly how yours is geared c/f mine, but I use the following principles:

1st to 2nd - as soon as I'm rolling, which helps minimise the awful clunk;
    2nd to 3rd - 30 mph tops, lower if downhill;
    3rd to 4th - 40 mph on the flat, perhaps a bit more/less if going up/down;
    4th to 5th - 50 mph ditto.

This equates to changing up at about 4000 rpm, starting in the next gear at about 3000 rpm.

4. Likes pererin65 liked this post
  5. Remove Advertisements
    F650.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bike
    F650 Funduro
    Post Thanks / Like

Got your gear changes sorted yet? I've had a Funduro for about 6 months, commuting most days on it for 50 plus miles on A Roads. Not many hills but several 90 degree bends over railway bridges. Iancol (above) seems about right, but I've nothing to compare it with. I hardly look at Rev Clock, tend to change "by year" and "by feel". Today had a bit of shock on the way home. Got up to 75mph and thought it was a bit strained - then realised I had another gear left! LOL

Bike
    Funduro 1998
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing I need to be changing gear earlier than I thought!
    Bikes are an addiction for which there's no rehab!

8. Likes pererin65 liked this post
    Bike
    G650GS 2011
    Post Thanks / Like

If you change up and it doesn't judder or struggle, it's not too soon. You might also see an improvement in fuel consumption.

10. Likes pererin65 liked this post
    Bike
    2002 650 CS scarver
    Post Thanks / Like

depends how you ride and where you ride - it isnt like old long stroke singles that will plod in top gear almost down to walking pace and pull away nicely
    I find my CS not much fun in slow 50kmh traffic its between 2nd and 3rd all the time
    and open road limit where i live is 100kmh and well enforced
    100km is 4000 rpm in 5th on boring roads and straights 5000rpm in 4th on curves and peaking towards 6000 rpm in 3rd in the twisties
    but i am oldish and not a hooligan anymore so i tend to shift up at 5000 unless overtaking
    below 3500 rpm the motor just seems unhappy
    at the other end of the scale - my brother was happy when the revcounter on his classic broke as he said it meant he didnt have to make sure it was on redline when he was doing wheelies thru the gears lol
    his motor had 100000kms on it when he bought it ex rental and has another nearly 100000kms since then still goes fine they do actually seem to thrive on a good thrashing
    Last edited by Ransom; 19-11-2013 at 04:38 AM.

12. Likes pererin65 liked this post
    Bike
    F650 Funduro 1995
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally truly discovered 5th gear on my funduro yesterday cruising on the motorway, have to say it is a bike that likes to be thrashed, have her in the wrong gear & the thing judders. Changing down under braking is the key & then working your way back up through the box. I'm mainly going no higher than third gear commuting, unless the road opens out or it turns a legal 70mph, then 4th comes into play

Ride it like one has stolen it wot

14. Likes NWhite1 liked this post
    Bike
    1999 F650 Funduro and 2010 Street Triple
    Post Thanks / Like

My Funduro is a cracking bike.

I find my Funduro does not like going below 2000 rpm. As a result I find I use first gear if I have to filter through traffic slowly. This is not an issue as the first gear appears to be taller than some of the other bikes I've had. I find keeping the revs up helps make the bike feel more stable and ensures I always have some pulling power for an immediate increase in pace. I get vibrations at 4000 rpm so make a point of going past 4k swiftly. Mine has heated grips, a top box and a radiator guard so makes a perfect all year round bike for day to day use. Servicing is easy to do and parts are relatively cheap.
    At weekends I sometimes take it out instead of my Street Triple. I surprise others with how well the Funduro does for a sub 50 bhp bike. It is a very under-rated bike and I'd recommend one to anybody.
    Steve
    jaffa1963

16. Likes pererin65 liked this post
    Bike
    2004 GS called The Mule
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a common thing for owners to change the gearing on these bikes.

When I got The Zombie it had a non-standard set of sprockets (17t front I think) which is supposed to increase economy by lowering the revs when cruising, but I did not like it. Recent C&S change to standard 16t front is much more suited to my riding.

Do you know what is on your bike?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    If you can't be good, be careful, Admin's watching.

18. Likes pererin65 liked this post