BMW F650 Forums banner

Funduro Brake lever

39K views 39 replies 15 participants last post by  N!co 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi I thought I would post this thread for a replacement brake lever just to confirm that there is an adjustable lever out there that's not too expensive and gives you a better grip on the lever without too much stretch

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130757523157?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I have just received this one to day and fitted it and it works well, no mods just plug and play

It allows for two adjustments one for the lever stretch 4 settings and an adjustable screw for the piston on the master cylinder.

The lever I got was silver colour rather than the black shown but you may be able to get black.

The lever is slightly wider than the stock one and has a nicer feel for that, for me anyway.

I am still trying to get one for the clutch, but as the matching one to this is also hydraulic its no good.

I will post if I find one or if anyone has a link to one I would be grateful

Dave

See less See more
#6 ·
I take it that these fit because the ducati uses a brembo brake system very similar to the f650?

[h=1]Ducati 916 Biposto 1997 Replacement Motorcycle Front Brake Lever[/h]
worth putting the description as well as ebay links can disappear then we have no idea what the original was

#13 ·
Hi Steve,

As yet have not been back to bike as its in my mum's garage and I am working on one of my other bikes, but I should be getting back there soon. I am sorry I can't report back sooner.

I am as I said fairly sure it worked but not 100% as one would need to be on this matter the lever looked the same in the area of the brake switch mechanism.

It would be simple to check if the bike was not 15 miles away!!

Dave

#14 ·
Hi Just a quick up date managed to get back to my bike today to check the brake light. Currently its on all the time so I need to check this out
I am sure its just setting up but will come back to this soon as I may be looking at it tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay but time is pressing on other jobs as always.

Dave

#15 · (Edited)
Just finished inspecting and sorting out the problem with the brake light being on all the time.

It was caused by the micro switch not being active properly nothing to do with the new lever.

It looks like I either broke or lost the end of the micro switch inside the brake assembly. I am not sure if there is supposed to be a small bush or if the pip has broken off the end of the actuating spigot on the micro switch. This should protrude just proud of the lever mount assembly, so that as the lever returns to the off position it pushes the micro switch open circuit, but as it wasn't as this "bit" was missing.

As I did not have another micro switch to replace it with I have circumvented the problem by making a small nylon bush which does the job, now as I said I am of the full believe that this lever was nothing to do with the problem as I have looked very carefully at the two levers in this area and they are identical.

Now I only need to track down an adjustable lever for the clutch side. So has anyone done this??

I am now much happier with the brake lever as I now have more control of the lever, its position and how it activates the master cylinder piston. Which unlike the old one is now adjustable via the screw in the lower part of the lever as well as the adjustment for the lever position its self.

I hope this thread/post will allow others to be confident that this lever works and works well, what's more its relatively in expensive compared to other options.

Dave

#19 ·
Hi Dave,

I suspected this may be the case :(

http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/DucatiBrakeLeverInstall.htm

"Next comes a tricky part:

• On the inside of the brake lever is a tiny little pin shown below next to a SMALL pair of haemostats.
  • This is NOT something you want to lose as without it, your brake lights won’t come on when you use your front brake. It goes in the small hole on the right in Fig. 5
So now you just remove the old lever. Back off the play adjustment in the new one. And put the new one in, taking care not to dislodge or lose the little light switch pin. Oh, I would take a moment prior to this and lube everything up real well with red grease. "

#23 ·
The brake lever is for '04, IDK if it fits earlier bikes!
The '04 bike already has an adjustable clutch lever and mine's still in usable condition.

Took my first ride this morning, man it makes a difference not to have freeplay before the brake activates, and given my little-girl hands, it's nicer to not have such a stretch too. Adjustment is from marginally nearer to marginally farther out compared to the original, although remember mine was worn out so might have been further away than normal. :)

#28 ·
Hi

They look good but knowing Wunderlich they have not been made for them they have just bought in from else where if we could find the source I am sure they would be cheaper

I just find it hard to part with nearly £60 for just the clutch lever :tears:
it looks a good match to the one I have currently on the brake

Dave

#36 ·
Dave i bought ebay item number 301609304632, just needed to move the brake reservoir assy in about 3mm to clear the plastic killswitch housing, apart from that straight swap.
I'm going to modify the clutch lever to bring it back a bit, but the brake lever was the main issue for me.
John.