BMW F650 Forums banner

Oldie getting nervious.....

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  joderest 
#1 ·
I am watching the time tick away, I am due in to work by 0800 tomorrow.

I have re-commisioned my 04 Twin Spark, the cost has sort of been added up, (tyres, sprockets & chain, cush drives, swing arm bearings, brake pads & fluid, fork and engine oil, air filter and coolant, and a new helmet as mine was 9 yrs old) - a lot more than I had expected at the start (and no I dont want to consider the expense v the value of my bike :eek: ).

I havent riden her since late 2010 ( and my 7yrs NCB became worthless as of 9 weeks ago :tears: ) and I am getting nervious about my first foray onto the road after so long. I hope I still have the nerve and have not spent all of this to find I have lost my nerve.

At my age I am not supposed to feel nervious ........

SS

#2 ·
First question would be do you have to use the bike to go to work or can you travel by other means? Reason for question don't stress your first ride with traffic, keeping to time, getting used to the machine etc etc. get up Saturday morning early regardless of weather, and pick a nice quiet road and ride it several times take a break, then ride some more get literally back into the saddle, gently does it. Remember be smooth with the throttle relax on the bike don't tense up, you'll tire more quickly, get anxious and not enjoy the re-union with the bike you've just revamped to enjoy not hate. Yu are bound to be nervous that is only natural, so practice makes perfect, get out on it as much as you can over weekend and rebuild that confidence, short hops cup of tea do a little more, if do have to go by bike in morning get up early and allow plenty of time don't stress and enjoy it as much as you can. You will be fine Rome wasn't built in a day ease into it and be safe, all best. :thumb:

#5 ·
Although I also haven't ridden for a good couple of years & my no claims bonus was full (or there abouts) my insurance company took this into account. If you haven't already sorted insurance - go back to them & ask them to take your motoring history into account too.

Good luck, stay safe.

#6 ·
I havent riden her since late 2010 ( and my 7yrs NCB became worthless as of 9 weeks ago :tears: ) and I am getting nervious about my first foray onto the road after so long. I hope I still have the nerve and have not spent all of this to find I have lost my nerve.

At my age I am not supposed to feel nervious ........

SS
Two years ago I bought my F650GS after a break of over 30 years. (I am now 66!) Before I got to the end of the street I felt as if I had never missed a day riding. After just two years there's no chance of it being it problem. Just don't try getting your knee down on the first bend...

Bob

#7 ·
So Supersport, how old is "oldie". There was a recent post from several of us older riders. For me at 63, returning to riding is like you have never been away. Thankfully, you have a bike that will take you anywhere, and ridden sensibly, will look after you, as you are looking after it! As the other guys have said, take it easy, take care, and most of all, enjoy the ride:riding:. I too am south of Gatwick, near Horsham, so shall look out for you wobbling your way down the road:dance:

#8 ·
Thanks guys,

The day went well, got to work in one piece, even remembered which side to put the petrol in (first time since 2010!). I set off early (about 07.00) though had forgot just how long it takes to kit up in the morning !. Confidence came back within a couple of miles, though am cautious as have new tyres and stuff to settle in.

MoT sailed thorugh, and by time the mileometer had recorded 20 miles today I was already spinning it around to 5500 revs :riding:

As for being an oldie - in my workplace I have been with my partner for longer than most have been on the planet, 27 yrs this month :dance: on my 56th birthday - but most consider that I have barely reached puberty :D

So now I am back on the road, its time to sort out some ride-outs

Supersport

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.