BMW F650 Forums banner

HowTo: Restricting a F650 Single

30K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Zabed Khan 
#1 · (Edited)
It appears there are two ways to restrict a f650 single. The official BMW way using BMW parts and there is also an aftermarket throttle stop available. This guide is using the BMW parts. One caveat is the throttle body must have the bigger cam with two positions for the throttle cable. I understand all UK bikes have this but it yours doesn't then the aftermarket throttle stop may be the way to go.

As far as I can see the process should be the same for all F650 singles although the part number for the cable guide looks to be different in twin spark models

For the 2002 bike we have we used part number 13547653277 (BRACKET FOR ACCELERATOR BOWDEN CABLE 25KW) Cost was four pounds something.

First thing is to remove the left hand indicator and tank panels.

We also swung the oil tank out the way as it gave a little more access and made taking photos that little easier.

Once the throttle body is exposed you should see something like this.

The bits we are interested in is the metal clamp that holds the outer of the throttle cable and the black cam that has two locations for the end of the throttle cable.

The photo above shows the full power configuration.

Turn the cam by hand (not using the throttle) and this will give you enough slack in the cable to remove the nipple from the cam. Next remove the two security torx bits (normal torx bits wont work due to a “pip” in the middle of the fastener) and swing the cable and guide out the way.

Attach the new guide and refit using the same torx bolts. Re attach the throttle to the other hole in the cam and ensure you still have the required slack in the throttle cable to allow the throttle to return fully home and you are done.

The photo above shows an additional throttle stop on the new bracket that limits the throttle opening even more than the cam does alone so you really need to change the bracket as well as moving the cable.

The photo below shows the new full throttle. I’ll get it on the GS911 and see exactly what percentage of throttle he has lost soon.

Refit the oil tank if you removed it and the rest is, as the Haynes manuals say’ the reverse of disassembly.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes. We popped out tonight. Did 90 on the motorway (I mean private road officer) and acceleration is certainly brisk enough that he could catch me out a couple of times when he took off from junctions. And I was on the 1200. Clearly it's no rocket ship but I'd certainly go so far as to say it's fast enough and doesn't feel crippled.

Off for an 800 mile fully loaded weekend in the highlands tomorrow so we will see how it fares then.

#4 ·
nice job boris, you got the restriction on handy enough - i am in ireland and we here would have to get a dealer to issue a cert to say the bike is restricted and that cert is then needed for insurance purposes .....is that the same in the UK?

i have also hijacked on off your excellent photographs to show where the throttle stop restriction was on my machine which i have removed. Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Car Automotive tire Automotive design
Grey Rectangle Wood Electric blue Jewellery

the red circle highlighlights the screw that held the throttle stop in place, the red arrow shows the part that would move on the throttle body and be stopped. and the very badly drawn line shows roughly the point where the throttle stop sat so you have an indication of the level of distance it travelled.

hope this helps some one

and as i said i have removed this from the bike so if someone needs it give me a shout.

#5 ·
nice job boris, you got the restriction on handy enough - i am in ireland and we here would have to get a dealer to issue a cert to say the bike is restricted and that cert is then needed for insurance purposes .....is that the same in the UK?
Companies like FI International who sell these overpriced kits and certificates will certainly suggest they are a legal requirement wheras all they actually tell you is you paid over the odds for a bit of bent metal.

Speaking to the Road Policing unit of my local Police they tell me all the the certificates tell them is the fact that at one time the kit was bought and probably fitted by a dealer. There is nothing to stop the owner going home and reverting the bike to full power so if they were in any doubt they would impound and inspect the bike to ensure it really was restricted. If no kit was found they would still have to arrange to have the bike dynod as the absence of a kit doesn't prove the bike makes over 33hp. A blocked air filter could do that. Bottom line is it's up to the police to prove the bike is over power and the driver is riding outside the terms of their licence and not for you to prove your innocence.

Insurance companies on the other hand can ask for anything they want and if they want a specific piece of paper then it's the buyers choice to decide if they would rather go elsewhere. Be assured if a claim was forthcoming and they chose to investigate it would also be for them to prove grounds for denying a claim rather than simply a suspicion.

the red circle highlighlights the screw that held the throttle stop in place, the red arrow shows the part that would move on the throttle body and be stopped. and the very badly drawn line shows roughly the point where the throttle stop sat so you have an indication of the level of distance it travelled.
Interesting. As you can see from the photo below of the bike on full throttle the kit you have restricts somewhat more than the official BMW parts.

#6 ·
Did the CS yesterday but forgot to take any pictures Doh! :banghead:

The process is very similar to what Boris describes with the exception that the CS requires all of the plastics removing from the front end.
You then have to remove a frame that sits on top of the air box and pull the air box clear if the throttle body.
Once you'be got all if this off you can then easily get at the bracket to replace it.

#8 · (Edited)
Hmm, interesting post. OK, I've only had the bike a day and I may be jumping to conclusions, but my GS feels as if it may be restricted. I'm comparing it to my XT600E which only had 43 (I think) bhp when new 18 years ago, but the GS feels a lot less lively, and is supposed to have 50 bhp. The throttle feels to have a lot of excess travel, too. When I get a minute (family visiting at the mo) I will pull the side panel off and check the throttle body, but is there anything else I can check to make sure I have an unmolested version?

TIA.

Edit: sunny afternoon, dry roads, heavier throttle hand - yup, more go than the XT. The long-travel throttle was making me think it had less power, but in fact the ponies just live higher up the rev counter. Had an easy 80 on back roads and plenty of oomph to overtake cars on the A-roads. Ignore comments above :)

#9 ·
I have a restricted GS and the throttle has full play.

With regards to the legality of the having a restricted bike. Im reliably informed that, the powers that be have a rolling road in the back of a van that can test for this. Although I've never seen one! and have no idea how it would work!

#10 ·
I've seen it in Germany, but not in UK.

To be honest if they catch you at over 100 on any bike, they'll know you have over 33hp. With the new licensing restricting to 48hp, it's going to be tougher to check, as 48hp on a lighter bike will get you to 120 easy. If you're caught above that, the limit on your license is one of your lesser worries.

#12 ·
Hi Mate.

As per the content of Boris's thread, it sounds like yours is in the restricted position if it's on the inner cable guide and has the cable holder with the throttle stop on it.

If your after a full power throttle cable holder, drop me a pm with your name and address on it and I'll fire off, for nowt, the one thats sitting in the garage gathering dust. :wave:

SteveT

:cool:

#14 · (Edited)
I went through the trouble of getting a throttle cable holder to derestrict my bike, only to find out it had the throttle stop restriction instead. I guess it pays to do your research beforehand eh? Fowlers of Bristol charged me £350 two years ago to put that on the bike I bought off them.

Anyway the upshot is I now have a spare full power throttle cable bracket (used). If anyone wants one for the price of postage just drop me a line.

#17 ·
It appears there are two ways to restrict a f650 single. The official BMW way using BMW parts and there is also an aftermarket throttle stop available. This guide is using the BMW parts. One caveat is the throttle body must have the bigger cam with two positions for the throttle cable. I understand all UK bikes have this but it yours doesn't then the aftermarket throttle stop may be the way to go.

As far as I can see the process should be the same for all F650 singles although the part number for the cable guide looks to be different in twin spark models

For the 2002 bike we have we used part number 13547653277 (BRACKET FOR ACCELERATOR BOWDEN CABLE 25KW) Cost was four pounds something.

First thing is to remove the left hand indicator and tank panels.

We also swung the oil tank out the way as it gave a little more access and made taking photos that little easier.

Once the throttle body is exposed you should see something like this.

The bits we are interested in is the metal clamp that holds the outer of the throttle cable and the black cam that has two locations for the end of the throttle cable.

The photo above shows the full power configuration.

Turn the cam by hand (not using the throttle) and this will give you enough slack in the cable to remove the nipple from the cam. Next remove the two security torx bits (normal torx bits wont work due to a “pip” in the middle of the fastener) and swing the cable and guide out the way.

Attach the new guide and refit using the same torx bolts. Re attach the throttle to the other hole in the cam and ensure you still have the required slack in the throttle cable to allow the throttle to return fully home and you are done.

The photo above shows an additional throttle stop on the new bracket that limits the throttle opening even more than the cam does alone so you really need to change the bracket as well as moving the cable.

The photo below shows the new full throttle. I’ll get it on the GS911 and see exactly what percentage of throttle he has lost soon.

Refit the oil tank if you removed it and the rest is, as the Haynes manuals say’ the reverse of disassembly.
Hi Boris, I want to fit an original BMW restrictor as per your post to my 2006 GS (I’ve already got it from BMW). Do you still have your photos that go with your step by step instructions please?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.