BMW F650 Forums banner

Side stand

7K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Triumph1300 
#1 ·
The suicide side stand makes me wary of using it. If the bike gets nudged the stand could spring back and the bike fall. Can anything be done? Is it as simple as taking off the spring? Would this mean the bike may not start? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
My first Funduro had the same set up, I just always parked it in gear and never had a problem. My latest Fundy has a normal one but has the electronic engine kill device, which when I get around to it is going to be disconnected :)

#6 ·
Perhaps I'm missing something, but surely if you remove the spring, but dont disengage the auto cut out, if you hit a pothole or speed hump then the side stand will drop and cause the engine to cut out!!:dunno:........Jim

#7 ·
Sigh, who said anything about removing the spring?
The spring is hooked to the sidestand, and sidestand bracket.
It is stopped from going overcentre, and locking the stand down by an extension to the sidestand securing bolt, ie a plain shank on the end of the bolt.
Remove this extension/plain shank on the end of the bolt, and the spring can go overcenter, and the stand stays down

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.