F650 Gs oil change

Thread: F650 Gs oil change

Bike
    2001 f 650gs
    Post Thanks / Like

Default F650 Gs oil change

Hello. This my first Bmw . I have a 2001 gs 650 with just 1100 kms (under 7000miles) bought from a
    woman here in France. I have a haynes manual which states all models remove sump plate then
    drain oiltank replace filter and top up tank with 2.3 litres of oil. there is no mention of undoing engine
    drain plug. Am i missing something here . I have always had Hondas where oil changes were staight forward
    A bit of advice here please anybody...Thanks in advance

Bike
    2001 f650gs in iceberg blue.
    Post Thanks / Like

The f650 has a dry-sump system so most of the oil is returned to the oil tank, but a little will always remain in the sump. I always remove the plug and drain the sump too. Furthermore it is quite easy to overfill the tank, I would not advise topping up with 2.3 litres straightaway. I put fresh oil in up to the bottom of the window in the tank, then take the bike for a short run. The oil level, which should be checked when the engine is warm, should be half-way up the sight-glass, marked by the spot in the centre

Regards

3. Thanks papamoto thanked for this post
    Bike
    2006 F650GS
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, oil level check is only relevant when the engine is warm, ie at operating temperature. If the bike is left to sit some oil will drain into the sump and it looks like the level has dropped, if the oil is not in a pool on the ground it's in the sump and will return to normal when warm. FWIW I used synthetic oil in my 2006 f650gs once and while the engine was a bit quieter, I had clutch slipping issues when pushing hard - not good. Drained the synthetic and replaced with cheap old Castrol 4T, no clutch slipping but the engine is a bit noisier at startup, till the cam tensioner takes up, then all good.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F650.co.uk
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Forgive me but have I missed something on my bike?

You talk of a oil sight glass, I cant see one on my 2005 F650GS, I just use a dip stick on the top of the bike that screws into the oil tank for the level.

If there is one its well hidden! LOL
    2005 (05) F650GS, 4.5k only, heated grips, yellow with two fold out BMW side paniers and a Givi C45 topbox from my old GT750 Kawazaki (adapter plate bought and fitted for BMW bike)

Bike
    54 f650 gs twin spark- IBA 46003
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats right, the 04> is called a f650gs twin spark, not to be confused with a f650gs twin which in turn is not a 650gs, its an 800gs but its not the f800gs...
    Anyhoo you do indeed have a dip stick,,When checking the level dont screw the dipstick in to get your level , If you know what I mean..
    Someone will be along with a link to the chain gang "how to"...
    Ps...The fold out panniers are called vario which is not to be confused with the varadero.....Tosh

In you first post you stated that the bike was a 2001 that has an oil glass....
    Last edited by tosh23; 25-01-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I dont screw it in to check my level, luckily I did read the instruction manual
    Every bike I have had always had a oil level indicator but not this particular one it seems

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    2005 (05) F650GS, 4.5k only, heated grips, yellow with two fold out BMW side paniers and a Givi C45 topbox from my old GT750 Kawazaki (adapter plate bought and fitted for BMW bike)

Post Thanks / Like

That's great information post you have made stuff post i really impressed this valuable stuff post i have bookmark this valuable stuff post
    Emily In Paris Pink Coat